BAR-NONE

Ron

Hi Andy

I've got to crack on as DVLA have decided they want to inspect it. I'm not sure they're prepared to accept the mistake they made in the 60's on the old green log book . They got a 1&9 transposed for the frame number. So I might have to except an age related number.......Which is fine as the N Irish number is strange anyway. But of course the bike has to be complete for the inspection which they've deferd till early Feb.  Ron

On 12/29/2023 at 7:55 PM, Ron said:

Hi Andy

I've got to crack on as DVLA have decided they want to inspect it. I'm not sure they're prepared to accept the mistake they made in the 60's on the old green log book . They got a 1&9 transposed for the frame number. So I might have to except an age related number.......Which is fine as the N Irish number is strange anyway. But of course the bike has to be complete for the inspection which they've deferd till early Feb.  Ron

Hi Ron.... Interestingly, my Uncle Keith's BSA C15,which I acquired and sorted out for him, had exactly the same  "two digits transposed" problem with frame /logbook numbers. It also was a NI bike so maybe they had some dyslexic staff? Fortunately DVLA accepted a letter ,pictures and a frame number rubbing but this was about 15 years ago and its obvious they have tightened up since then. Keep up the good work!    Andy

• 2 weeks later...

refurbed dynamo fitted and the  primary side is built up now. Some new friction plates, clutch rollers and cable are installed. I'm still waiting for my rear brake shoes to come back from being relined by Villiers Services. They received them on December 15th and are supposed to be a 7 day turn round. The Christmas and New Year break can seriously cause some hold ups. Ron 

BDSCF5927.JPG

BDSCF5957.JPG

• Like 1

That would be nice Lex. Can you bring one next week? I don't know how the original was removed and still left the rivets. I'll have to get them out somehow.  Ron

My brake shoes finally arrived this morning, so despite the freezing conditions, I've started to build up the rear end. I've also already fitted the Amal handlebar controls. 

I've no idea why there is such a long speedo cable. I'll see if I can re-route it to loose some of the excess before spending out on a new shorter one. 

BDSCF5992.JPG

• Like 2

I'm picking up my rebuilt carb and a new rear chain at Kempton on Saturday, then I've got the DVLA inspection for sometime in February. 

They didn't mention the Irish number or the mistake they made in the 60's. I guess it will be an age related number.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to crack on and get it finished as the DVLA inspection was planned for yesterday. I'm sort of hoping they will reinstate the Irish number that it was first registered with. I've temporarily installed the rear stand but will be leaving it off once the side stand is adjusted to my liking and spot welded. I don't really trust the clamp on stands without a back up weld, and the correct G3L side stand is a laugh and a half. 

On the 3rd attempt I've finally got a leak free primary case. My second attempt was one of the "T" section soft rubber items which is now in the bin. Ron

DSCF6051.JPG

DSCF6052.JPG

• Like 4

I've had my DVLA inspection and just waiting for the V5C to come through. The bike is starting and running ok, but It's not charging the battery. Since my dynamo was professionally refurbed, I can only assume that the regulator isn't functioning properly. So I've gutted it and await the new solid state DVR2 that I've ordered.  Ron

• Like 1

That's an interesting bike Lex. I quite like the RAF theme on the tank.

Since I invested £120 in the dynamo refurb, I might as well see it through all the way. I do like running lights on my way to the beaches. ☺️  Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Good news. My dynamo is charging and DVLA have let me keep the North Ireland number and returned my cheque as there is no charge. Ron 

BDSCF6084.JPG

Edited by Ron
  • Like 5

You mean this Lex! Actually it's on loan from John T. and made from the crown of an old piston. I was going to get one cast, but Nick is too expensive. So at the moment I have a new shiny repro.  Ron

BDSCF5958.JPG

BDSCF6101.jpg

Edited by Ron
  • Like 2