Austin Champ Windscreen Frame.

Terra1936

Question

semiphore indicators were fitted to some series one land rovers in military service but l have never come across champs with them fitted but that does not mean they could have been but all the one's that have worked on never once did l come across them My feeling is they were fitted when  they  left military service

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, wally dugan said:

ALL  military champs were 24 volt and you could buy 24 volt semiphore indicators the question is were they fitted to champs while used by the military   

These are all in service photos, several seem to be OC or prestige vehicles. So maybe after-market but in-service embellishment?

96BE48a.jpg.bf5c2832df5828e36b269dc8e8f156ea.jpg

98BE27a.jpg.f8a12fe36a360ac0f4f397077f7ea7b1.jpg

80BE57a.jpg.20baba8003860709930001e61d4d3974.jpg

82BE26ba.jpg.0fb02b1c4da144cbdd34ec7ca29b67d4.jpg

96BE36a.jpg.759e6192936d7a3cd1f4a63d5d3d4f17.jpg

and this rather odd one:

39BE89b.jpg.24f159aab464335cd76f1bfce4f6f044.jpg

• Like 1

Pat Ware's book  "Quarter Ton"  -  the many photographs inc. 2/3 of the way through production show only two trafficators of semiphore type.  Page 208 & 209 clarify changes to lighting   , abt.  1954 a modification to th national 'Construction and use regulations' 

QUOTE.

The FV1802 prototypes, together with a number of vehicles in use by BAOR were also fitted with flashing indicators at front and rear .  (NB note use of words flashing indicators  , not trafficators - that I believe semiphore were worded , so I am uncertain just what the author was getting at  ?  ). I doubt if he was getting into pedantics.

• Thanks 1

The  FV 18O2A prototype or box champ did indeed have flasher type indicators the lighting on champs did change the rear trumpet style tail lights and  replaced by the round screw in glass type as seen on later land rovers  also the same style indicators were fitted. BAOR modification  MOD 1  fit semiphores MOD 5 electric 24 volt trafficators as l pointed out l never saw them but l did see the later type

Edited by wally dugan
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ruxy said:

NB note use of words flashing indicators  , not trafficators - that I believe semiphore were worded , so I am uncertain just what the author was getting at  ?

I don't know about military vehicles in this context, but new build civilian cars started to change from semaphore trafficators to modern type flashing indicators around the end of 1954, presumably as a result of a change to C & U Regs. Semaphores were usually fitted into the central body pillar on each side, and were quite short, so although they were illuminated [rather feebly and they didn't flash] they were not particularly easy to see, and were not commonly fitted to larger vehicles because of visibility issues. Flashing indicators were fitted in pairs front and rear, as currently, so were much more versatile and more visible.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

The replacement of existing tail lamp with by stop/tail lamp was authorised in EMEI WHEELED VEHICLES D 577 (BAOR) Mod Instr No.4

Fitting medium 24v trafficators  Mod Istr No.5

Note that the above are EMEIs not EMERs

But Mod Instr No.5 was the BAOR implementation of EMER WHEELED VEHICLES D 577 Mod Instr No. 43

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Noel7 said:

I don't know about military vehicles in this context, but new build civilian cars started to change from semaphore trafficators to modern type flashing indicators around the end of 1954, presumably as a result of a change to C & U Regs. Semaphores were usually fitted into the central body pillar on each side, and were quite short, so although they were illuminated [rather feebly and they didn't flash] they were not particularly easy to see, and were not commonly fitted to larger vehicles because of visibility issues. Flashing indicators were fitted in pairs front and rear, as currently, so were much more versatile and more visible.

Hope this helps.

I recall my old man forever fiddling with his 'spare' set of semaphore trafficators , the mechanical parts (ISTR the amber arm lens illuminated. This would be about 1958 (I recalling moving house with it soon after obtaining) . It was a Bedford CA van , earlier he had a couple of Ford Pop. type vans - can't heve been these as I recall his fiddling at the new house.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ruxy said:

I recall my old man forever fiddling with his 'spare' set of semaphore trafficators , the mechanical parts (ISTR the amber arm lens illuminated. This would be about 1958 (I recalling moving house with it soon after obtaining) . It was a Bedford CA van , earlier he had a couple of Ford Pop. type vans - can't heve been these as I recall his fiddling at the new house.

The CA van must have been new abt. 1955, my old man purchased it second-hand , fitted side windows and seats in back - sort of a poor man's Dormobile  !  IIRC there was a tax to be paid on window conversions for a few years after new.

As I recall, there was a half-way house for indicators with a kit which could enable the side and tail/brake lights to be flashed - there had to be a visible flashing lamp on the dashboard.  My father had such a set-up on his 1954 Hillman Husky.  I don't know if it is still the case, but it meant that, for a very long time, indicators could be amber or white at the front and amber or red at the back.  I think the same applied, though for longer, in the USA where the amber indicators took longer to become popular.

• Like 1