Should Gate Guardians have weather protection?

Knowing how our weather, and especially the rain likes to eat its way into steel vehicles - should our Gate guardians have some protection from the weather?

I saw this on Facebook the other day. The Panther of Houffalize, Belgium was a rusty damaged relict for decades. It's now been restored, and a shelter erected.

https://www.tracesofwar.com/sights/140/Panther-Tank-Houffalize.htm

Belgiumgate2.thumb.jpg.447486cc47112f155b16e06f00f62e3f.jpg

Belgiumgateguardian.thumb.jpg.262ee837bc252c947d9b934d1e2b52de.jpg

gate2.jpg.1247bdeca96b1d1d677cea10667a6ac6.jpg

gate3.jpg.5f5fef93b7bad54b9735df2b75755d8d.jpg

At Leconfield, they purchased an Alvis Stalwart, did some work on it, and popped it on some stones.

2011.png.e5373cf1ed912e690092ce91391f25ed.png

2017, and the bottom of the front windows is rusting out

2017.thumb.png.2fa83e02978eafc7daeda2d01a2b6f3d.png

2023, and the side windows are on their way out as well

2023.png.766dc983b38c56b35806e048f388841f.png

I'm sure if there was a cover over it then it would last a lot longer, and the same of all other Gate guardians.

Your thoughts on this theory?

They used to say that a unit could be judged by the state of its guardroom and, frankly, this applies to gate guardians as well.  Gate guardians in a poor state of repair reflect very badly on the unit - particularly the commanding officer and the regimental sergeant major (or equivalent) whose responsibility it is to ensure everything about the unit is looked after properly.

1 hour ago, 10FM68 said:

They used to say that a unit could be judged by the state of its guardroom and, frankly, this applies to gate guardians as well.  Gate guardians in a poor state of repair reflect very badly on the unit - particularly the commanding officer and the regimental sergeant major (or equivalent) whose responsibility it is to ensure everything about the unit is looked after properly.

I think it's all changed now, with regards to who looks after what

I recall a meeting in the late 1990s about having gate guardian at LECONFIELD there are now a few dotted around the camp; There was at the time a reluctance to  have them it was pointed out that it was all  well and good but they needed on going care something l had experience of at the museum and if even labour was free  there  would still be costs. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mark Ellis said:

I think it's all changed now, with regards to who looks after what

So are you saying that the Commanding Officer of a unit and his RSM have no say in the appearance of the infrastructure of their establishment?  If they don't, then who is it who does?

25 minutes ago, 10FM68 said:

So are you saying that the Commanding Officer of a unit and his RSM have no say in the appearance of the infrastructure of their establishment?  If they don't, then who is it who does?

You're presuming that the location of the Gate guardian has a military Commanding Officer and RSM, and that they're responsible for a vehicle or vehicles on military land which might have no relevance to their unit

3 hours ago, Mark Ellis said:

You're presuming that the location of the Gate guardian has a military Commanding Officer and RSM, and that they're responsible for a vehicle or vehicles on military land which might have no relevance to their unit

Mark, you're just being tiring and pedantic.  I don't give a damn who it is whether civilian or military - someone has to take responsibility.  But, no more from me on this subject.

2 hours ago, 10FM68 said:

Mark, you're just being tiring and pedantic.  I don't give a damn who it is whether civilian or military - someone has to take responsibility.  But, no more from me on this subject.

There's a difference "between being tiring and pedantic" and "attention to detail". Not every MOD site has a regiment at it, or a squadron, or even a permanent unit.

I think you'll find that anything that doesn't move of it's own power on MOD land these days is under the umbrella of Defence Infrastructure Organisation - but it's been a long time since I wore a green skin. But Gate guardians aren't necessarily on MOD owned land.

38 minutes ago, Bob Grundy said:

Photo shows Chieftain at Peninsula Barracks, Warrington today. Peninsula Barracks was the depot of the South Lancs, 1 Bn Lancastrian Volunteers and 5/8 Kings Regiment.

The Chieftain is now looking a bit sad.....

Cent Gate gaurd.JPG

Wondering what the plaque says, Bob?
That's a Royal Engineer's Chieftain AVRE, which of course is vastly different to the Centurion AVRE that it worked alongside.

Going back to the original post

The question I posed on the original post was - should our Gate guardians have some protection from the weather?

Who's responsible for painting them doesn't really matter, when I'm wondering if a basic top cover would make them look better for much longer.

• Like 1

MARK there many people on this site that know of these gate guardians they are dotted all over this country. I for one have sent vehicles to be gate guardians to parts of this country and have a interest in their fate the one's  at LECONFIELD which is ten minutes from my home l made my comments as stated on them at the time of them been first discussed  also l have had the task of preserving one of the large's out door gate guardians the BLACKBURN BEVERLEY slapping paint on it is not the answer there is much more to it at this moment l am more interested in the one's on my door step 

.....I'm wondering if a basic top cover would make them look better for much longer.......

Yes it would. I help look after the Saladin at Hever Castle and it sits underneath an oak tree so is perpetually covered in leaves, twigs and acorns depending on the time of year. And right now the inside is dripping in condensation. Our 25pdr a few yards away but not under the oak tree fares much better.