Installing a secondary braking system in an FV432

Deathwing

We are thinking about attempting this, for general increased safety. I was curious if anyone has done this before and knows the best way about it?

We considered trying to upgrade the braking system to a more modern FV430 system e.g. Bulldog, but (a) it looks like that might require replacing the engine and other bits as well, and (b) not sure Bulldog parts are on the market yet?

Another option we are considering is a bit more creative. Big rubber pads above the tracks and a piston to push them down onto the rubber track pads (like a giant car brake) if the emergency stop brake is pushed. If someone has installed a secondary braking system in an FV432 before though, it would be great to know how they did it!

Outboard shaft of steering box put disc brake & fit disc caliper was also suggested as an idea.

However, I've discovered the issue is that this counts as a modification, which means the vehicle then requires new approval from VOSA or a similar entity (alongside disclosure of any modification to the insurer) which is probably a non-starter or very hard to get.

So we have the odd situation that it is safest not to make a modification to improve safety because that could invalidate the vehicle approval or be an issue itself in the event of an accident. At least I tried!

The Bulldog brakes are in the gearbox, which is ITAR and unlikely to ever appear on the civilian market.

You probably also need to consider which is more likely in an FV432, a faulty steering box or loss of a track. A secondary system won't help if it relies on the same actual braking mechanism - the track.

Andy

To be really honest if you do your first parades and maintain your vehicle to the manuals (buy them and learn how to use them)  and don't flog it around the back forty acres and dump it through every mud puddle and then drive it back to the shed and park it until the next flogging you will see issues developing.and be able to deal with them Also if you take the time to pay someone who is ex forces who knows how to drive to teach you then you have most of the bases covered. Armoured vehicles are big and bite when you don't drive them properly. If you want something safer, stamp collecting comes to mind. Manage your risks and don't take chances and drive sensibly and be kind to your wagon and you will be much safer that dicking around throwing money up the wall on a wild goose chase in the name of safety.  I am not intending to be rude just pragmatic. Ive watched others go down this rabbit hole and it doesn't go well. That is my opinion and it is mine but you can borrow it if it suits you