It's a Cromwell !

Bob Grundy

Sunday telegraph 30 July. An article by India Mc Taggart portrays our late Queen then a Princess climbing on a " Comet" tank at Sandhurst in October 1945. Viewing the said photograph clearly show her about to alight onto a CROMWELL. This is the state of modern journalism. Kate Williams get her  nose in as well, she who sometimes talks absolute tripe....

QE tank.JPG

Just like the IWM experienced this week on Twitter/X - if something is indexed or catalogued incorrectly then the stated caption is likely to end up in print or online, with people taking it as gospel. 

Having worked in the industry myself I can vouch for captions not always being correctly labelled! And as others have said, there aren't always those of us with a military vehicle interest in the office. 

21 hours ago, Whittingham warrior said:

That is certainly true with the Telegraph, a picture of a Warrior IFV upside down was captioned as a tank. If simple things cannot be done properly think of all the subjects we know little about, all the misinformation that the press can slip in. . . 

To be honest, to most people anything with tracks and a turret with gun or canon is a tank. At first glance it may be a bit difficult to tell the difference between a IFV or a tank.

Com to think about it, what is a Merkava? Called a tank but IIRC it also has a ramp for infantry men?

On 8/5/2023 at 1:16 PM, Smithy said:

Just like the IWM experienced this week on Twitter/X - if something is indexed or catalogued incorrectly then the stated caption is likely to end up in print or online, with people taking it as gospel. 

Having worked in the industry myself I can vouch for captions not always being correctly labelled! And as others have said, there aren't always those of us with a military vehicle interest in the office. 

I can also vouch. The WW1 RFC/RNAS/RAF casualty cards held at the RAF Museum were digitised and made available online for the WW1 Centenary. The Museum then started receiving complaints that so-and-so's name is wrong, or his unit is wrong, etc. We literally just scanned the original cards, and copied the data as presented on the card for the searchable database. Any mistakes are a century old, and it would take hundreds of man-hours to check each one, we can only add extra info when someone draws our attention to it.

As for the original photo in the article, I've lost count of how many times I've looked at period publications (including official ones) where they have incorrectly labelled photographs. I've seen an RAF photographic log of 5 M.T. Coy movements that labels P-61 Black Widows as Lightnings. It happens. Instead of getting on a high horse, perhaps politely contact the people involved and inform them so they can update their records.  

• 3 weeks later...

The mk19 avro ansons data plate in the raf museum at cosford is described as “wooden wings”only early ansons had wood wings. I pointed it out in 2000 to the lady responsible for the error. It still says wooden wings

Edited by lowfat

BAe show the Series II C19 as introducing the metal wing, so Series I would seem to have had wooden wings - see https://www.baesystems.com/en-uk/heritage/avro-anson, which also states that late production MkXII, identified as Series II, had an all metal wing, presumably implying that Series I didn't. TX214 apparently dates from early 1946, but I can't find out whether it's Series I or II.