12 Engineer Brigade AOS markings 1960s/1970s

10FM68

During the 1960s and early to mid 1970s, 12 Engineer Brigade used a sequence of numbers from 171 to, at least 177 on the dark blue arm of service signs.  I think that 174 was 39 Engr Regt (Airfds) from Waterbeach, but can anyone, please allocated the remaining numerals for me?  Presumably there will be 22 Engr Regt, Perham Down, 35 from Ripon and 36 from Maidstone at least but I'd very much like to know the full set.

Many thanks in advance

I believe that there were 4 Airfield Squadrons all initially based at Waterbeach.

About 1975 3 of the squadrons were then relocated to the locations you mentioned.

Not completely sure but, I think the capability for ADR was then relocated again back to Waterbeach with the actual squadrons remaining where they where.

It should also be noted that these units initially covered the BAOR Airfields of Wildenrath, Bruggen, Gutersloh and Larbruck.

Around 1985 it was decided to set up a TA ADR cover for UK airfields. Based out of Waterbeach and again acting as HQ. With Marham, Wattisham, Waddington, Coningsby, Leeming, Kinloss and Lossiemouth plus a couple of others I can't recall at the moment.

While the aims of ADR remained basically the same between Regular and TA units, manning levels decreed that the TA units could not cover all the same tasks, so they concentrated on the Airfield operating surfaces and became RAOS rather than ADR.

I was part of 52 at Perham in the 70 - 80's for 5 years and also in 234 at Leeming for 9 years until 1996.

Edited by ploughman
Recalled an airfield.

Thanks Ploughman,

Yes, you're basically right.  Waterbeach was 39 Engr Regt (Airfds) with 51, 52, 53 and 63 Sp Sqns until 1977.  I joined 51 early that year but a couple of months after that 51 moved to Ripon and was replaced by 48. I stayed with 48 and prepped for NI, where we then went in the September/October.  52 went to 22 Engr Regt as you said and was replaced by 34, 53 stayed at Waterbeach becoming 53 (Construction) and 63 went to Maidstone to be replaced by 60 Sp Sqn.  After this break-up of airfield damage repair expertise which was, of course, stupid as the CRE (airfields) was also at Waterbeach if I am correct, all the UK engr regts were similar each having 2 field squadrons, a support squadron and a field squadron (Construction).  The BAOR roles of the construction squadrons remained as before - looking after the clutch airfields.

But... my question relates to the period leading up to that change when the regiments were still using vehicles in deep bronze green with the 12 Engr Bde formation sign (vertical diamond in engr red/blue/red/blue/red stripes with XII in white) and a blue AOS sign with 17?.  There's a picture below of a Barford from one of the regiments - with 174.  I had thought that was 39, but I may be mistaken as ours had yellow lines round the waists a la RAF airfield vehicles - but the large RE cap-badge on the door was certainly in use in 39 while other regiments had squadron shields (48 a garish blue and yellow shield of a beaver filling nearly the whole door of a Land Rover!  I took this photo off the internet but cannot acknowledge its origins, unfortunately.  I have other photos showing 171, 173 and 177, but don't know which regiment had which.  Incidentally, I was told  that the designations 51, 52 etc came from the former RAF airfield construction squadrons which were 5001, 5002, etc.  It is said that at the transfer the RAF wished the squadrons well in the future, 'now that their balls had dropped'! b.jpg.b144c9364f85d6b6d78d9de429ad0322.jpg