Commer Q4 Tipper

Ashcollection

There is the remains of one of these trucks here in Alberta, Canada. Not sure what body is on it but I think it was a comms or enclosed van body from memory. Seller had loads of vehicles all in the tall grass storage and all well absorbed by mother nature but all worth their weight in gold. Totally unreasonable fellow to deal with. Likely when he dies the executors will call the scrap man before the place goes for sale, so common a story.

5 hours ago, robin craig said:

There is the remains of one of these trucks here in Alberta, Canada. Not sure what body is on it but I think it was a comms or enclosed van body from memory. Seller had loads of vehicles all in the tall grass storage and all well absorbed by mother nature but all worth their weight in gold. Totally unreasonable fellow to deal with. Likely when he dies the executors will call the scrap man before the place goes for sale, so common a story.

Yes all to common a story unfortunately, we had a random delivery driver posted pics from our scrap pile without permission a few years ago on face book, i was surprised at the number of people that than posted messages implying it belonged to a hoarder, would never sell anything, had over inflated ideas of value, would rather see them rot, etc etc was quite funny, but i do get why they thought that. little did they know that that row of scrap trucks sacrificed themselves for the sheds full or restored and running trucks, that are in my secret Hoard haha. Now and again I now post bait posts on face book of a nice tuck saying, "about to be cut" wind them up and watch them go! haha 

15 hours ago, wally dugan said:

that looks nearly all there this is what it looked like when new

q4.jpg

Hi Wally, thanks for those pictures, I'm so pleased to have finally found one of these, especially as my dad who is suffering from dementia was part of the user trials when he was in the Royal Engineers back in the early 1950's, it will hopefully stir some memories. Oh by the way Wally the "Beast" is still with us, got pushed on the back burner as the hydraulic tank rotted a few pin holes in the bottom, we haven't had a chance to get that off and fixed yet.

• 2 months later...

What a great looking truck, so nice to see a 1950's vehicle in DBG without being over restored with tow ropes, buckets and red two hooks etc. Original Q4 tippers must be so rare because most were worked to death after demob. This vehicle is a credit to its owner.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, B series said:

What a great looking truck, so nice to see a 1950's vehicle in DBG without being over restored with tow ropes, buckets and red two hooks etc. Original Q4 tippers must be so rare because most were worked to death after demob. This vehicle is a credit to its owner.

I do so agree with you.  It is a shame that there is relatively little interest in this period when, in fact, these vehicles are relatively rare and interesting.  After all, the vast majority of British ex-military vehicles from the 40s and 50s had a very hard life after demod, were cut about to fit breakdown cranes, etc, etc and simply didn't survive.  Which is why it always pains me to see ex-British military jeeps, Diamond Ts, Macks and others losing their identity to join the ranks of the US Army when, in fact, retaining their original markings (or, better in many ways, the markings they ended their careers in) would make them so much more interesting and be a lasting tribute to their original users, whether during the war or afterwards.  But... that is not the way the wind is blowing in the hobby, at least at the moment - perhaps a future generation of restorers will have a greater interest in historical accuracy and will return some of them to the colours and markings they actually wore. 

• Like 4