Indian Pattern Wheeled Carrier of the RAF Regiment in WW2

LarryH57

My late father in law drove Indian Pattern Wheeled Carriers in Burma with the RAF Regiment in WW2.

I am putting together a history for the family of his time in the RAF as a Ground Gunner and later a member of the RAFR

These vehicles used CMP engines and running gear on a design that originated I believe in India, although they were used in North Africa by Indian Regiments and by the NZ Army in Italy. The one my father in law drove had a turret , which my father in law remembered had twin machine guns, but whether these were Brens, Vickers or 0.30 inch Brownings he couldnot say. The only photo I have ever seen of a turreted version is a shot of one from the rear in Tanks - encyclopedia.com

Incidentally a pair of Vargas Girls legs were painted on the side by someone before hand, and a Japanese skull was put over the headlight by someone else less squimish in the unit. The colour was overall dark drab green 

The one in the photo below is possibly from North Africa or Italy. I'm not familiar with the type and Mark Numbers but I guess the turret version came later from 1942?

Indian Pattern Wheeled Carrier Mk IIc.jpg

Edited by LarryH57
Spelling
  • Like 1