Text or images on the Bedford MK Ether cold start system

Mark Ellis

Wondering if anyone has any text or images on the Ether system, and the canisters for the Multi-fuel engine in the Bedford MK, please?

EDIT - I'm hoping that perhaps someone has a Driver's manual for the Bedford MK, or something else that was fitted with the Start Pilot 

Ethnol-Pot-1.jpg

Ethnol-Pot-2.jpg

Edited by Mark Ellis

Yes ether capsules, look a bit like Nespresso coffee capsules.  Only ever needed them in the artic when down to -30 and below. 😳

Used in a lot of diesel vehicles, my Eager Beaver has one too.   If you really need to you can just take the cap off and squirt a bit of easy start in to make a puddle and with the cap back on by pumping a few times it should reach the engine intake.  Should not need it and I would not want to.

9 minutes ago, attleej said:

Mark,

The system uses capsules of, I suspect, ether rather than ethanol which will not work.  I have never known them be used in UK and the MKs always started even in the coldest weather without using the system.

John

John, I've used them myself - 40 years ago in Germany. You're probably right about the contents of the canisters.  But still looking for text and images 

• Mark Ellis changed the title to Text or images on the Bedford MK Ether cold start system

Oh the fun we had with these...

I remember driving with many a new young officer co-driving and whenever we went up hill, I'd lift off the accelerator a touch and tell them that we were losing engine pressure and they'd need to help by pumping... which they would have to then do vigorously... and if they eased off at all, so did the accelerator....

oh happy days!