Aerials on 1950s British armoured vehicles

10FM68

Question

Here's a question, can anyone advise, please?  I am looking at British armoured vehicles of the early to middle 1950s.  Presumably, this is prior to the introduction of Larkspur, so first of all, are we still talking about No19 sets in, say Daimler armoured cars (DAC), Dingos, Centurions etc?  If so, what aerials would they have?  I presume a troop vehicle would have one (on the squadron net) while a squadron commander, command vehicle, 2ic, perhaps would have two, the squadron command net and the rear link to battalion/regiment.  Is that correct?  I am a bit confused as many pictures showing these vehicles during WWII seem to have two aerials a long one on the offside of the DAC turret, for example, and a shorter one on the nearside.

Can anyone tell me when Larkspur was introduced because from then on most such vehicles would have had 2 radios: B47 and C42.  Is that correct?  I ought to know this stuff, but I don't and have forgotten much of what I did know.

I'd be grateful for any kind of steer.  Thanks.

10 68

7 answers to this question

Brilliant, many thanks Chris.  Your answer has enabled me to look up the rest I needed to know.  So the B Set would have a 2' aerial and the A Set 8' max on the move.  From 1954 the RAC and RA started receiving what was later to be called Larkspur.  OK, for my purposes, I shall stick to the No19 set.

Again, many thanks

10 68

Centurion gun tanks had two wireless sets during the 1950s prior to the changeover to Larkspur: No.19 Mk.3 and WS No.88 AFV - three aerials. Late in the 19 sets life, the B set (I think) was disconnected.

Larkspur was B47/C42 for gun tanks and B47/C42/C42 for Command tanks. Each Troop had a Command tank commanded by a Lt, and two (or three - depends on period) Gun tanks commanded by a Sgt and Cpls.

I understand there was a changeover period from 19/88 to Larkspur when vehicles had a mix of both types.

Mike

Edited by Mike C

11 hours ago, Mike C said:

Centurion gun tanks had two wireless sets during the 1950s prior to the changeover to Larkspur: No.19 Mk.3 and WS No.88 AFV - three aerials. Late in the 19 sets life, the B set (I think) was disconnected.

Larkspur was B47/C42 for gun tanks and B47/C42/C42 for Command tanks. Each Troop had a Command tank commanded by a Lt, and two (or three - depends on period) Gun tanks commanded by a Sgt and Cpls.

I understand there was a changeover period from 19/88 to Larkspur when vehicles had a mix of both types.

Mike

3 hours ago, fv1609 said:

A wealth of info on here: https://groups.io/g/wireless-set-no19

Thank you both for that.  I hadn't realised there was an 88 set for AFVs.  I remember using the infantry 88 set as a cadet and it was pretty useless, I must say.  And the website, Clive, is fascinating, thank you both again and Happy New Year to all.

1 hour ago, Chris Suslowicz said:

There was also a WS31 AFV version, and the Canadians used the PRC510 (Improved PRC10) as an infantry communication "C Set" in AFVs.

And thank you for that as well.  The trouble is, there is so much to know, and a hell of a lot to remember.  I had forgotten I had written this post!  My major interest is in the British Army of the 50s with WWII coming in a close second, and I find it interesting to dig a little deeper.  Funnily enough, generally there is a lot of information out there - Holland is a very good source for info on British matters and I am forever finding new internet sources of material.  My next quest is for a list of the unit identification numbers from WWII British vehicles - it will be a very long list indeed!