What is this radiator from? This is not a quiz!

fv1609

Trying to revamp my 1965 Shorland, not been driven for 12 years. It deserves a new radiator as even back then overheating was an issue. Although this is only a 4-cylinder petrol it had over 3 tons to carry.

The radiator is much larger than a standard Series 2A of the time. I wonder whether this radiator was used in any other?

I have a Mk 1 Shorland IPC but it only covers the bodywork etc not the detail of automotive components. I have a Mk 3 IPC but that is entirely different engine & radiator.

I know radiators can be recored. This is what I had done on the Shorland SB301 prototype with an identical radiator, but this radiator has multiple failing repairs on the top & doesn't look a good candidate for rebuilt.

So does it ring any bells as to being fitted in any other vehicles of the time?

DSCF6144a.jpg

DSCF6145.jpg

DSCF6148.jpg

DSCF6149.jpg

Edited by fv1609

Clive

Try Berkshire Radiators in Caverham, Reading, Berks. They built the radiator for my WOA2 out of 2 others, and recored it as well. Not the cheapest of repairers, but for the quality of the work, it was well worth it. Could be worth a try.

Robert

Clive

Try Berkshire Radiators in Caverham, Reading, Berks. They built the radiator for my WOA2 out of 2 others, and recored it as well. Not the cheapest of repairers, but for the quality of the work, it was well worth it. Could be worth a try.

Robert

Robert yes ok, but Reading is a long way away. There is a place in Southampton that did my other radiator. Although it's good to hear where people get good service. I posted this on the Series 2 forum & one guy was full of praise for a firm that work wonders for him. Fine I thought then looked at his location - Malta!

It looks like a standard large header tank radiator for series 2's of the period. Jon

Yes it does, I agree. But that's the catch. On the Series 2 forum people have posted pics of their rads & they are of very similar style, but are smaller.

Clive, as soon as I get chance I will go through the old parts books at work to see if I can find anything.

I'm pretty sure it was something Land Rover fitted rather than Shorts. Both Shorlands with this rad were supplied as export models. But it doesn't appear in my Series 2A IPCs, nor even in the 1-Ton supplements. Although I think the 1-Ton came out officially in 1972, but the vehicles in question had 1-Ton spec & were made in 1965 & 1968.

Serck were always pretty good whenever I've had problems in the past . Not the cheapest I know but might be worth an enquiry

Someone sent me a picture of the rad in their civy 2A. It was very much in the style of mine but smaller. However there was a plate on in showing it was made by Serck in Birmingham. So I shall do a bit of hunting for Serck & see if there is anything more local to Salisbury.

What used to be Marston Radiators here is Colchester became Serck Marston and later just Serck . a few years back they rebuilt my Vitesse rad for me with an uprated core . They also suplied a new-virtually off the shelf- core for the 1942 Fordson Standard tractor I am restoring .

DM

Give Phil Bashall at Dunsfold DLR a call, if anyone knows he will,

01483 200567..... might even have a rad amongst their huge stock of L/R parts

Yes that's a good idea. Philip was helpful in getting me the proper depth of well for the wheels on the other Shorland.

Being 'fick, weren't the shorlands six cylinder anyway? the poor old 2.25 4 pot must have stuggled.

Mks 1, 2 & 3 were 4-cyl 2.25 & it was a struggle, especially up hills.

Most people assume all Mk 3 were 6-cyl. In fact it was 4-cyl, but as an optional extra 6-cyl was available for use on hilly terrain or heavy duties.

All the Mk 3 I have seen have been 6-cyl, only because they opted for this to equip the UDR. These also had a second fuel tank, which was not standard, just an optional extra.

Mk 4 & what they then had to call Series 5 were V8.

Sorry to tell you Clive that I haven't managed to turn up anything definite, I have been trying to speak to John Craddock but he is unobtainable at the moment, spoke to one of his managers who is very knowledgable and the 2.6 rad was his opinion. I think the previous idea to speak to Phil Bashall is the best way to go but in the meantime I will keep digging.

OK Thanks for trying. There is not great hurry, I have my hands full with trying to push to get back to living in a house & get the builders out. Just trying to source out components in readiness for the reviving process.

OK Thanks for trying. There is not great hurry, I have my hands full with trying to push to get back to living in a house & get the builders out. Just trying to source out components in readiness for the reviving process.

How to get builders out. Lurk under hedge and whistle then wave kettle and packet of choccy biscuits over top of hedge. Move slowly away keeping said items tantilisingly in view, better than the Pied pieper's flute. :-D

Clive, have had alook thru some of my old pics of 6cyl's and for what it's worth I reckon it's the 6 cyl 2.6 rad.

Would make sense standard item easy to source, thought I sen a new one a Sodbury for a £5 :evil: :yay: :banana: :banana:

HF :whistle: :-D

Yes I saw one there, it was in that upper field by the WC block. It was cheap I remember but the top was worse than mine. But the stall holder didn't know what it had been removed from. I was going to go back with my camera to get a full frontal but had to make a quick exit as mother was taken into hospital in am.