Cat D4 bulldozer

Can anyone add any information regarding the ex RE Cat D4 dozer.

Date of entry into service?

Numbers built for War Office?

Dozer blade and side arm type?

Costs?

I think registration is missing a digit?

I should have more information shortly from the equipment data plate once revealed!

Cat D4C 3.jpg

Cat D4C 2.jpg

Cat D4C 1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2022 at 10:25 AM, Richard Farrant said:

I wonder if this is the D4 dozer that used to be on a plinth at Wainscott? If it is, I recall working on the steering clutches whilst on a course there, so the retiring CO could drive it on to the plinth.

There was one at the Gillingham Business Park, on Ambly Road, just up by the DVSA Test centre.  Might be that one 

The Cat outside the Ponderosa at Wainscott is a D6C with and 8 yard box sat behind but unreeved.

The Cat D4C was at the bottom of the hill at that time outside the former Plant Roads & Airfields Wing.

That's me in the image stood alongside.

I was the Military Plant Foreman (MPF) running the plant training  at the Ponderosa 1984-86.

Happy days.

Ponderosa towed box 2.jpg

1 hour ago, Mick Norton said:

The Cat D4C was at the bottom of the hill at that time outside the former Plant Roads & Airfields Wing.

Hi Mick,

That would be right as I was on a course at Plant Roads & Airfields Wing and positive it was 1980. Do you remember a REME Major there named Kemp?

8 hours ago, Mick Norton said:

Here's a POM 0-2 course posing in front of the Cat D4C outside the PR&A Wing in 1986.

I'm sat centre front row

POM 0-2 1986.jpg

Many thanks for the reminder, that's stirred some good memories. The course photo, done a few of those. I was part of the MAN 2 team for a couple of years '92, 93 looking after Sect Comd and Plt Sgt courses. Recognise at least one young Sapper in your picture

Rob,

The Track Marshall 70 (TM70) was about the same time as both the Cat D4C and the Case Terramatic drive light crawler which was not entirely successful.  Some rated the TM70 as a Cat D5 equivalent but I would disagree.  The TM 70 was not the tool to endure an eight hour day with it was bloody hard work.  I worked with the Gurkha Engineers at the Jungle Warfare School in Malaya in the 1960s where we used a TM70 with a small towed scraper which did the work okay.  Track Marshall closed for business in 1990.

Mick