Hello from Cornwall

Eugene

Hi everybody!

An introduction, I'll keep it short and sweet -just like myself!

Despite my relatively young age (I'm still the right side of forty) I'm getting to be one of the old timers down here.

I've collected militaria virtually since birth -we always had gasmasks and helmets around. My father was in the Home Guard and then the Royal Artillery, serving in India -the last days of the Raj. His brother -my uncle- was a "D-Day dodger" with the DCLI, fighting in North Africa and landing at Pantelleria and then Anzio, Italy. Following injury he was flown back to Blighty by Dakota.

Anyway, back to me. I was fortunate in that one of the early pioneers of private military vehicle ownership -Charlie Mann- had his museum down here. Most of you will have heard of him from his providing vehicles for the film industry -most notably "A Bridge Too Far". I have several pictures of myself (not for publication!), aged seven, with some of the vehicles when they returned from Holland. Film buffs can now work out how old I am!

Later, purely by chance, I was visiting Falmouth where there was a display of MVs. Until this time I didn't realise that "ordinary" people owned such things. One was an old friend of my father. At that time he had a Dodge Weapons Carrier and a Daimler Dingo, in which I was to take part in several parades. This in turn lead to me acquiring my own vehicles, the rest, as they say, is history.

So there it is, thanks for reading!

Hello mate,

My late Uncle - Gunner Jellicoe - also landed at Pantelleria and went on to Anzio. Your post is the first mention I've heard anyone else make of the first of those places...

Been trying to find the time to write a story about him and his Morris Quad for this website.

JC

Hi John,

it doesn't often turn up in the history books either, even though I believe it was the first taking of enemy territory by the allies.

I hope you get around to writing your late uncle's story. My father was a driver/ op., learning to drive on a Morris Quad -but taking his test in a totally unfamiliar Bedford MW- and then using Indian-pattern CMP no.13 cabbed Quads for towing 25 pounders and limbers with the 10th Indian Division.

All the best!

- Gunner Jellicoe -

Well thats about as Cornish a name as you can get.

My Father remebers seeing Charlie Mann driving a rough looking GMC through Penryn in the 1940's.

A pity i never made it to the museum, but we do still have the auction catalogue somewhere and we ended up with one of the trucks in the auction (the FWD) although it was not part of the collection.

Tim (too)

A pity i never made it to the museum, but we do still have the auction catalogue somewhere and we ended up with one of the trucks in the auction (the FWD) although it was not part of the collection.

Hi Tim,

for anybody who wants one, I found that the catalogues are still available.

I didn't realise that was your truck. We have met, at the War and Peace Show -I was there with Adrian (not sure if it was this year or last)

Hi Tim,

for anybody who wants one, I found that the catalogues are still available.

I didn't realise that was your truck. We have met, at the War and Peace Show -I was there with Adrian (not sure if it was this year or last)

Ah yes, thats right, now i remember you. Last years one wasn't it. Small old world.

Tim (too)

Ironically Gunner Jellicoe was Wirral born and bred - he was the plumber on Lord Leverhulme's estate from school to retirement with the exception of his spell in the RA. Drove a Morris Quad and once told me that he was in it somewhere outside Rome parked in a line alongside a road when a despatch rider pulled up and asked for directions. Painted on the tank was the word 'Deeside' - the part of Wales across the Dee from Wirral. My uncle got chatting to him, saying he was from Wirral and the rider said 'I write to a girl on the Wirral' and produced a pictureof her with her friends... One of them was my uncle's sister.

It's not important, just a human detail about blokes far from home. I'd better get on with the story I guess, it'll be full of things like that. JC

Thanks all for the welcomes!

Toys? I'm afraid it's a bit of an eclectic mix, but here goes.

WWII ex-RAF Phillips bicycle, BSA parabike, 1942 Ford GPW Jeep with British "airborne" and US trailers, c.1956 Mark IV Brockhouse Corgi (most likely not military), ex-RAF Old Sarum 1969 Series IIA airportable Land-Rover (Rover 1) and a 1978 ex-RN Piaggio Vespa 150 Super motor scooter.

There it is, as long as it's ex-military, I'm interested.

As for you, Andy, don't worry, I've got your number! (If you haven't guessed, it's Roger -but don't tell anyone!) Regards to Trish.

Welcome aboard Eugene. Hope you've been careful with that axe. Never mind the big motors - I want to see the scooter. Diversity is the spice of life. The breakaway HMCF forum will only lead you to trouble.

Oh, and...

Get your story sorted, John. Pure gold by the sound of it.

Mark B

Hope you've been careful with that axe. Never mind the big motors - I want to see the scooter. Diversity is the spice of life. The breakaway HMCF forum will only lead you to trouble.

Yes, I'm fine thanks Andy. Thanks for the welcome Mark.

Ah, now I know what the HMCF is! But what axe?

Still waiting for that bike pump, but you won't catch me in lycra though......

Listen carefully I will say this only once... Burn before reading... The Historiac Military Cycle Forum, is a gorilla ( yes spelt right, we are a lot of little monkeys) group intent on turning all the tree huggers in to closet green machine lovers. Approch the bike sheds three times round the left hand side and give the secret knock. :?

Listen carefully I will say this only once... Burn before reading... The Historiac Military Cycle Forum, is a gorilla ( yes spelt right, we are a lot of little monkeys) group intent on turning all the tree huggers in to closet green machine lovers. Approch the bike sheds three times round the left hand side and give the secret knock. :?

Now I AM worried!

I remember visiting Cornwall when i was about 12 with mum n dad to visit my brother who was at college in Redruth. My treat for the week was being taken to Charlie Manns museum. I seem to remember he had the Merc truck from Raiders of the Lost Ark a Sherman, a DUKW and a Horsa? It's the first time I've heard any mention of that place since then... I came out of that place even more determined to buy an MV when i was older :-D

I remember visiting Cornwall when i was about 12 with mum n dad to visit my brother who was at college in Redruth. My treat for the week was being taken to Charlie Manns museum. I seem to remember he had the Merc truck from Raiders of the Lost Ark a Sherman, a DUKW and a Horsa? It's the first time I've heard any mention of that place since then... I came out of that place even more determined to buy an MV when i was older :-D

Yes, that place has a lot to answer for!

It was at Lamanva, near Constantine, Falmouth.

The German trucks (there was a couple) from "Raiders" were actually modified "airborne" GMCs (shame!) the Shermans were made out of wood and fibre-glass mounted on (possibly "lightweight") Land-Rovers, these and the replica Horsa were made for "A Bridge Too Far". The latter is now at Preston Isaac's museum at Cobbaton, North Devon. I think the DUKW is still in Cornwall, along with the one that used to be at St Micheal's Mount.

The museum contents were auctioned in 1993, after being run for a few years by a local theme park (Flambards near Helson) following Charlie's death. Some of the vehicles are still owned and exhibited locally.

:rofl: :rofl: HE'S GOT BIYCYCLES :banana: :banana: :banana: :dancinggirls: :dancinggirls: :yay: :yay: :yay: Another set of Lycra overalls and more space required in bike shed. AN HMCF complimentary gold bike pump on its way!

Oh GAWD................... :whistle: Tonys gone into saddleoverload............. ;-) it'l get messy in a mo. :oops: :-D :-D

Hi Eugene, quite a diverse colection you have.

All the best,

Andy