Blow Torch

Surveyor

Just bought a blow torch at a charity shop, images below, what caught my eye was the WD 141 stencil at the side.

Now i seek help from my learned friends again.

1. Any clue what the WD 141 would be for

2. Same with the franked number under the handle, only spotted that after got it to the hotel.

3. Any one have instructions on how to use it, it does not seem to be one with a valve to control flow.

Thanks in advance

Richard

IMG_2643.JPG

IMG_2634.JPG

IMG_2635.JPG

IMG_2637.JPG

IMG_2638.JPG

IMG_2639.JPG

IMG_2640.JPG

IMG_2641.JPG

IMG_2642.JPG

The part number is stamped on it, FA 15016 catalogued circa 1944

It is part of the Vocabulary of Army Ordnance Stores Section F Part 2, that includes many tool kits for 67 types of craftsman. I only have lists for some of these tool kits but there are many nearby numbers amongst metal working trades. But  I can't find yours I'm afraid.

I have a large COSA Section F unfortunately all NATO codified, but I will flick through & see if there is anything that might resemble your item if it was still in service at the time.

Paul nothing really bicycle specific here that I can think of other than odd references in other publications. For instance looking in the index of Mobilization Regulations, India 1929 there is a paragraph relating to their issue.

Just grabbed a 1942 Equipment Regulations that looks more promising.

2022-02-19_234433.thumb.jpg.40c7648717ab193ecca8bd2b0c43e2e6.jpg

I expect you are aware that Army bicycles & spares are covered in VAOS Section C 3 & RAF Vocab Ref 61 BY

15 hours ago, ruxy said:

The cup is probably to hold methylated spirit & wick  that is fired to get initial vaporization of the paraffin - then you start pumping.

Ruxy

yes i can see the cup around the rising pipe is charred, it looks a bit like a pre heat, its the thing sloping down that i cant work out, looking at it, it seems burnt, if for a wick it would need one placed every time.

I have emailed the society hopefully instructions as well as what the mystery item is

Edited by Surveyor

• 3 months later...
On 2/19/2022 at 4:33 PM, Surveyor said:

Gents

Many thanks, I noticed the diagrams above don't have the cup shape item as attached picture, any clues?

InkedCopy_LI.jpg

I have used many times in Service myself as an Armourer. & still do sometimes on the Bench. i have never seen that little 'shield' on any issue blowlamps? These lamps are very simple to use. Fill with PARAFIN & unscrew the small valve on the filler cap. Pour METHELATED SPIRITS into the circular 'Dip' on the top of the lamp. Light the meths & wait. You will soon hear it hiss & bubble as the Parafin is drawn up the tube. When this happens after a few seconds of waiting with the hissing Etc. CLOSE the screwed valve. & apply a FEW pumps to the pump handle. You will hear it begin splutter & a blue flame will try to exit the muzzle. Keep it like this for appox 20 seconds & then PUMP AWAY FREELY as you like! The flame will become hotter, louder & roar! You are ready to use it! When finished, unscrew the valve to exhaust the pressure in the tank. let it cool completely. close the valve & stow away safely!

On 5/26/2022 at 12:18 PM, ferretfixer said:

I have used many times in Service myself as an Armourer. & still do sometimes on the Bench. i have never seen that little 'shield' on any issue blowlamps? These lamps are very simple to use. Fill with PARAFIN & unscrew the small valve on the filler cap. Pour METHELATED SPIRITS into the circular 'Dip' on the top of the lamp. Light the meths & wait. You will soon hear it hiss & bubble as the Parafin is drawn up the tube. When this happens after a few seconds of waiting with the hissing Etc. CLOSE the screwed valve. & apply a FEW pumps to the pump handle. You will hear it begin splutter & a blue flame will try to exit the muzzle. Keep it like this for appox 20 seconds & then PUMP AWAY FREELY as you like! The flame will become hotter, louder & roar! You are ready to use it! When finished, unscrew the valve to exhaust the pressure in the tank. let it cool completely. close the valve & stow away safely!

Many Thanks, I got a flame coming out like a flame thrower may have to clean the nozzle.

IMG_20220514_211122.jpg

Try another preheat, or just very gradually increase pressure, let it warm up fully.

Worst case you have a worn jet but allow it time to fully preheat first. It should combust within the sleeve, not beyond it 😁🤘

Alec.

• Like 1

yes you MUST let it warm up completely, & then pump to pressurise.

You need to aim for a BLUE roaring flame! Not a weak long yellow flame!

If you have a jet pricker use it before hand. If not, a SINGLE strand from a steel wire brush will do the same job.

Edited by ferretfixer
  • Like 1