Late 1980's Ferret crew feeding arrangements?

john fox

A similar thing happened to me on Hohne ranges in Germany. I was commanding a Scimitar in A (cowboy to some) Sqn 15/19H and we were completing a section (2 veh) battlerun when I started to engage a pair of soft veh tgts on auto with the 30mm. half way through the engagement I noticed through my sight that there was a strange object following the rounds down range, :dunno: on returning to the firing point after completing the run I noticed that I was missing the flash hider from the end of my barrel. This is what I had seen accompanying my rounds. :whistle:

Barry.

A former Scorpion crew memer told me that when they were expending blank rounds at the end of an excercise, they would put ration tins of rice pudding, baked beans or other messy food-stuffs in the 76mm barrell first. They would then proceed to shoot at each others vehicles and would go back to base covered in food stuff.

What we used to do with the 76mm was to use tins of dried rice and you used to have a 76mm shot gun. I can remember one exercise when we were in Germany using Scorpion we were waiting in ambush in a village when the enemy (2 x Marders) came round the corner, all you could hear was the Tp Ldr (S/SGT) shout "FIRE" and All THE WINDOWS in the high street shatter. Oh what a laugh :-D.

Baz.

No wonder wev'e been kicked out. I was told a story of hammering an Antar with full load down a hill and up the other side. The driver, and Cath is female by the way said the intercom just went quiet , then 'Oh **** Look at the church tower'. Apparently the vibration of the Antar and load had caused the tower to collapse.

Another method of heating food was to wire unopened compo tins to the outlet louvres on your ferret and the heat from the engine running used to have your food hot by the time you got to where you were going. The main problem was by the time you got your brew and food served it was guaranteed that you would get a order to move.

Barry.

We used to put the boil in the bag rations on top of the engine when we first moved into a position, by the time we had set up and had good comms, dinner was ready!

What we used to do with the 76mm was to use tins of dried rice and you used to have a 76mm shot gun. I can remember one exercise when we were in Germany using Scorpion we were waiting in ambush in a village when the enemy (2 x Marders) came round the corner, all you could hear was the Tp Ldr (S/SGT) shout "FIRE" and All THE WINDOWS in the high street shatter. Oh what a laugh :-D.

Baz.

I was once leading vehicle (in a Scorpion) covering a reserve demolition in a village in a German valley. We knew our own Cowboy - I mean "A" - Squadron were orange forces and according to the pink, they would be coming over the following morning.

I knew the locals would not appreciate us firing a blank in the middle of their village at Dark o'clock in the morning even if it wouldn't put out every window in the street, so I reminded my driver that when I shouted "FIRE!" he was to flash his headlights in the accepted standard method of simulating firing the 76.

We got our vehicle into a derelict site a couple of hundred metres from the bridge. Nothing could get over the bridge without me taking it out. (ISTR a 16/5L Scorpion was credited with a T55 kill with the 76 in GW1: we were facing a recce echelon "in BMPs.") My section commander was a short distance further back and the other section was hull down along the top of the ridge in support.

Cometh the hour and the lead Scimitar - I mean BMP - appeared on the bridge. On I/C,"ACTION!"

On the combat team command net, "Hello 24 this is 24C contact wait out."

Back to I/C, "HESH BMP on loaded fire!"

From the driver (unusually - obviously - it's normally the gunner): "Firing now!" FLASHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Four Scimitars raced through the village, flashing their headlights back and waving enthusiastically. Like I said before, cowboys.