Data Plate

bikermoss

FV  fighting vehicle we still use  this but I’ve never seen it on motorcycle 🤓 not sure about TT will look into it see if I can find anything else  you still use A one Basically means fit for all duties after a rebuild only ever seen stamped onto one engine block  normally just on the paperwork

2 minutes ago, Ant said:

FV  fighting vehicle we still use  this but I’ve never seen it on motorcycle 🤓 not sure about TT will look into it see if I can find anything else  you still use A one Basically means fit for all duties after a rebuild only ever seen stamped onto one engine block  normally just on the paperwork

image.jpg

2 minutes ago, Ant said:

Most motorcycles will rebuild Depot or Chilwell  as it was purpose-built for motorcycle  rebuilds 

2 minutes ago, Ant said:

Most motorcycles will rebuild Depot or Chilwell  as it was purpose-built for motorcycle  rebuilds 

That’s for the UK obviously overseas is different Chilwell had a series of out buildings  they were split up different manufacturers ie  Royal Enfield BSA et cetera 

Here are some scans from a War Office booklet from WW2. Ministry of Supply controlled all repair work and much of the B vehicle including m/cycles was done by contractors. The following scans may give you more insight on this. It highlights the fact that all vehicles that went through a Class 1 rebuild lost their identities and basically came out as a new vehicle with new census number.

AAW1.jpg

AAW2.jpg

AAW3.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Ron,

I also though BR might have meant Britain but on an afterthought it could have meant Beyond Repair, as it appears vehicles were completely dismantled and rebuilt as new. This would have meant parts were mixed up and any Class 1 rebuild had no originality in it. This shows when you look carefully at some vehicles today. The TT3 part would just be a department of Min of Supply who were covering a wide range of subjects, not just army vehicles. From what I am reading MoS had total control on vehicle repairs and overhaul as I guess they actually 'owned' the vehicles.