Locking Wire Pliers

MIKES

In the RAF .022 stainless steel wire was used for nuts/bolts/pipe unions etc. Fine copper wire was used on electrical connectors.

The use of those pliers was frowned upon, as it was expected that you should be skilled enough to twist wire to the correct number of twists per inch with ordinary pliers.

Edited by Paul Drake

If you type "lockwire pliers" into Google you will find many, many sources (including Amazon, Machine Mart, etc).

Edit, oops, just noticed you want genuine WD pliers, which I am sure makes the search more difficult. Sorry, I should have read your post more carefully.

Edited by utt61

21 hours ago, Paul Drake said:

The use of those pliers was frowned upon, as it was expected that you should be skilled enough to twist wire to the correct number of twists per inch with ordinary pliers.

we used them all the time with stainless.  Copper was generally by hand, I remember the emergency release on oh58's were copper. Uh60''s had very little amount of safety wire and I often got asked to do it as I had spent my time on the older airframes

35 minutes ago, fesm_ndt said:

Great for yanking out split pins

That depends on the state of your split pins!  Out of four recently on my RB44's ball joints, I had to drill three out as they were just solidified rust.  The remaining one was fine as I'd replaced it previously - with a stainless one. 🙂

Andy

Some clowns like to tighten the nut a tad to stop it wiggling.  we used to cut the bottom side short and flatten and top piece cut it and twist into the castlelation.  This was to prevent hooking parts of your body on them in confined areas.

PS stainless is the best..I still have thousands of the buggers.  Carbon would be such a nuisance due to your road salting (never had to drill one out...yuck)

The beauty of lock wire pliers is the locking onto the split pins and the long arms for leaverage..unless you got the short ones.. mine are from memory close to 12 inches long....