steviem new jeep

Jerry Jeep

working on the front of steviem jeep got it all sorted and welded up i have made some strengthening plates for under the cross tube i have done this on a number of jeep over the years and they don't look out of place and the chassis did need them  did all the grinding then it rained on it and i went inside to work on the grill combat lights 

P1010198.JPG

P1010199.JPG

P1010200.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

have done the lights indicators for the grill and head / side lights fitted just need to do the  indicators in the back lights will draw out the wire diagram for you when i cut out all the rust will post the damage for you there is a large number of drilled holes i need to weld up for you there is going to be a lot of body filling and sanding for you the body filling is better going over the red primer. Have put all the bolts from the parts i take off with them so it will be easer for you to rebuild your jeep 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, steviem said:

Good knows what they had in the huge hole on the dashboard,  thanks Jerry. 

heater or speaker for radio seen this before i am going to strip the axles next and get them blasted along with the 2 combat rims will phone universal next week and get two more rims and order the tyres from john grey  

• Like 1

Speaker I think as I removed a heater earlier,  it's moving along nicely now fingers crossed the axles aren't to bad although judging by the rest of it I'd be surprised,  better get cracking my end now,  biggest job I think will be the hood,  hinge repair plus oil canning,  then the fenders, grill, seats, windshield. 

spent today removing all the rusty panels and patches have ground up all the spot welds  there is a lot of steel to put back just need to do a bit of panel beating to dress all the edge angles then strip down the only two combat wheels and axles then off to taffy the best blaster in the north west      

P1010214.JPG

P1010215.JPG

P1010216.JPG

P1010217.JPG

P1010218.JPG

P1010219.JPG

P1010220.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great work Jerry,  although we've lost quite a bit there is still a lot of original material there,  my aim was always to preserve as much originality as possible,  tell taffy to turn the psi down,  what do you want me to do with the step, are mb and gpw's different?

2 minutes ago, steviem said:

Great work Jerry,  although we've lost quite a bit there is still a lot of original material there,  my aim was always to preserve as much originality as possible,  tell taffy to turn the psi down,  what do you want me to do with the step, are mb and gpw's different?

get the new step there is a difference not much i can work around it  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steviem said:

Anyone tried one of these from JMP, seems to have a flick switch inside to convert 6v/12v as required, Jerry would this work with mine keeping an original finish?

https://www.joesmotorpool.com/ford-gpw-parts/916-joe-s-motor-pool-6v-12v-voltage-regulator-for-ford-gpw-willys-mb-slat-mb

joe-s-motor-pool-6v-12v-voltage-regulator-for-ford-gpw-willys-mb-slat-mb.jpg

this will be for show only as an alternator has this built inside its called a rectifier pack  

• Like 1

the regulators that can work 6 volts or 12 volts and are solid state inside are great however what i have found and you should know is that jeeps and dodges and more that use the same type of generator there are two types first is a FIELD EARTHED and the other is a ARMATURE EARTHED there is no way of knowing which one you have from the out side you need to strip down the gen and cheque it out    

• Like 1

After a bit of a brake from jeeps ( putting down some concrete out side workshop ) this weekend i have been stripping down ready for blasting both of the axles i have never seen a diff that was full of grease how it was still working i will never know   the pile for cleaning is getting bigger and bigger, only 2 of the wheels that are combat rims and they took over two hours to strip  so much rust i had to cut the tube from the rim hope to get it all to Taffy the blaster next week then i can start on the engine and gear boxes 

P1010221.JPG

P1010222.JPG

P1010223.JPG

P1010224.JPG

• Like 1

a foot note about  the grease in the diff it was so thick i filled up the diff with some petrol/derv mix and put the drill on the pinion nut to wiz it over to soften the grease so it would sort of run out  when its back from blasting i will remove the pinion and wash it all out and cheque the two pinion bearing and oil seals

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steviem said:

Well I guess it was better than none,  hopefully the grease has had some protective valve,  those combat wheels sounded a challenge   are they original rims Jerry 

yes they are you need to order your tyres from john grey from milweb as i have heard he is not in the best of health not covid and you might as well order the wheels from universal jeeps i all so asked him about the deep mud exhaust pipes for your jeep ask him about that  i am going to put together an order for jeeparts next week so stand by the phone     

• Like 1