Jeep Indicators

cripp

After getting my jeep on the road back in july with what I thought were small unobtrusive indicators I got a few comments about them.

old%20indicators.jpg

Seems they stuck out too much. After a while I decided I would try to hide them a bit more.

I know some people turn the black out marker lights into indicators, but I wanted to keep all the lights working as they're meant to.

So here's what I came up with. I got some small 5volt Orange bulbs and added a resistor so they'd work off 12volt.

components.jpg

Next was a simple solder together and mount them in the back of the marker light doors.

lenses%20wired.jpg

All I had to do then was drill a small hole in the bottom of the marker light body and fit them and wire them up. They are surprisingly bright once done.

Litup1.jpg

Opinions :?: I think they look much better and you have to look pretty close to spot them. More pictures here

Very nice but isn't the idea of indicators so you can be seen by

other road users and 2 led bulbs are surely not going to do that

I know what my preference would be . It is all right trying to be

original but with todays traffic on the roads surely safety should

be your number 1 priorty . I personally removed the blackout

inners front and back to give more light out ok it's not original

but I know there is not going to be some dummy running up

my rear end because he could not see me

Commander

Here is another thought for you then

Any modifications that you make to your vehicle should comply with construction & use regs, which is why the add on indicators do being stamped with the E mark & all that EEC rubbish. Therefore any modifications to the blackout lights aren't legal (not that it stopped me doing it) So is it better to have no indicators & be legal or add on ones & be safer. All a flashing indicator tells you is that the bulb is working & shouldn't be relied on anyway.

AAAHHHHH well if it`s now twelve volt then it`s not reeeaaally origonal :lol: being serious i like your idea but following odball comments may be we should all re-read the highway code mainly the section that deals with (PERMITTED) hand signals.

Ashley

Hi Steve,

there used to be a section in the highway code book on hand signals but threr again it has been a bloody long time since i`ve read it :)

Ashley

''PS as theres no stencilling on the rear of my canvas i retain the righ to improvise.

Ashley

From what I remember about the highway code book, it only covers right hand drive vehicles. I can do all of those, not that anyone else on the road knows why I'm flapping my arms etc, but if the canvas is up, nobody would see any signals anyway.

If I simply reversed the signals for the left seat, they are still less likely to be seen. Following drivers sitting on the right of their vehicles, looking diagonally, still have their vision blocked by the canvas. My arms aren't long enough to stick out far enough!

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

After seeing Cripp's indicator modification, I decided to modify my original idea and keep the sidelights in addition to fitting indicators. Whether they are legal in that position, I'm not worried. I'd rather indicate illegally than be splatted by a big truck that didn't know where I was going. When they ask about indicators at MOT time, I'll wave my arm out the side.

Since my jeep is 24 volts, I used voltage regulators to drop the LED's and flasher circuit to 5 volts.

I went for a bit more visibility on the indicators and added 5 ultra high bright ( 5500mCd ) Yellow LED's, together with 5 White (9500mCd ) LED's to replace the sidelight bulbs. They were mounted in parallel rows on a PBC that fitted into the back of the light housing, held in place with a couple of dabs of hot melt glue.

739394.jpg

Here they are from the front.

739395.jpg

The rear light uses the rectangular slit to house 7 Yellow LED's and 5 Red ( 8300mCd ) LED's for the rear sidelights.

739401.jpg

A 555 Timer IC is used to flash the Yellow LED's with a DPTP Centre Off switch in the dash next to the choke.

I'll try and get some pictures at the weekend as the garage is a bit dark to get pictures in the evening. All components were purchased from Electronics suppliers, Farnell.com

Steve

OK, I got daylight for some photos today, actually too much daylight. The sun was low and very bright shining straight down my drive, making it difficult to see normal car indicators, never mind the jeep ones. Normal light should be ok.

First of all, the front sidelights which are 5 white LED's each side.

741481.jpg

and the rear sides which also have 5 LED's each side.

741484.jpg

Next a picture of the 7 rear LED indicators, 'though with the sun shining directly into the light housings, they don't show up too well in the photo.

741483.jpg

and finally, with the magic of an animated GIF image, my front indicators.

741482.jpg

Steve