Another "What's this?"

AlienFTM

was the conning tower offset on the other sub as well? were they a set?

If the other sub was also an O class (like this one, according to my mate's husband), yes. But it would be offset on the same side, unless the engine was built back to front or upside down.

Oops. Was that a clue???

Oh and don't bother trying net searching: "this" O class series does not appear in any obvious net searches, only the pre-war UK and the USN O classes.

If the other sub was also an O class (like this one, according to my mate's husband), yes. But it would be offset on the same side, unless the engine was built back to front or upside down.

Oops. Was that a clue???

Oh and don't bother trying net searching: "this" O class series does not appear in any obvious net searches, only the pre-war UK and the USN O classes.

I think this sub was HMS Opportune or perhaps HMS Otter as they both ended up at Pounds. They were modified with a prominent sonar housing on the bow, and had GRP conning towers, maybe this was the reason for offsetting the tower.

Richard

Yes they had a thing that looked like a boil on the bow. being disiel electric apparently the job was sneacky beacky. One of the guides at Chatham had served on the boats. He was full of facts including such odditys that when submerged only 3 people at a time were allowed to move about, and then only with permission or it upset the trim.

When you say "O" class - do you mean it/they are modified Oberon class??

Or a unique class that doesn't seem to be referred to any where????

I suspect so. Jane relayed hubby's comments and I think the other boat (now missing from that location, that he had served on) might have been Oberon, doyenne of the class. He simply referred to them as O Boats, as they are wont to.

Never thought to look up Oberon Class on the www. I wonder if the next page has the answer on?

I think this sub was HMS Opportune or perhaps HMS Otter as they both ended up at Pounds. They were modified with a prominent sonar housing on the bow, and had GRP conning towers, maybe this was the reason for offsetting the tower.

Richard

Not what the horse's mouth told me.

Yes they had a thing that looked like a boil on the bow. being disiel electric apparently the job was sneacky beacky. One of the guides at Chatham had served on the boats. He was full of facts including such odditys that when submerged only 3 people at a time were allowed to move about, and then only with permission or it upset the trim.

My bold. That's probably the nearest we have had to the right answer. But it's entirely wrong.

Yes please :whistle:

According to Jane's husband, the submariner ...

As you can see, the hull of the Oberon Class is neither of the traditional shapes for a submarine, ship-shiped to ride on the surface or giant cigar to enable a nuke to motor at speed underwater.

Apparently the hull (and conning tower offset) was designed thus to counter the torque of the screw and make it easier to steer in a straight line.

What a waste of everybody's time this thread was.

Reminds me of one Sergeants Mess Games Night. I found myself rubber-dicked into running anchor on the Boat Race. This, apparently was a Dutch Boat Race which involved more than a relay of simply downing a pint and putting the empty glass on your head.

Oh, no. Each team member still had to down his pint (this toward the end of a long evening ...) then rest his forehead on a broom handle and rotate about the broom handle three times, then run to the far wall of the bar and back.

Being anchor, I watched everyone before me run at the wall, but travel 45 degrees off to the right because his balance was thrown. It really was funny. Nobody thought it the least bit funny though, when I set off on my run, pointing 45 degrees the other way, running toward my outstrtched hand and hitting the far wall square on, repeating for the return journey and winning the race comfortab;y.