Can you identify RAF ambulance in the picture taken in Hong Kong 1954

geraint llewelyn

Hi interesting collection of vehicles ..all badged RAF police the motorbikes appear to all be Matchless G3Ls a 350cc bike with telescopic forks .On The left you have A ww2 jeep (either willy s mb or Ford gpw) The next vehicle working right  is a Canadian quad ..or CMP Quad normally used to tow a gun but a great vehicle for the police as it can carry 6 men and a load in the back . The next vehicle is a further canadian vehicle ..but a general service truck or CMP GS ...there is the edge of a 4th vehicle a staff car on the right but I can't identify this immediately .

Hope that helps

Jenkinov

• Like 1

The top photo with the 3 RAF servicemen are in front of a Chevrolet canadian pattern general service truck ..so this is designated as a Chevrolet CMP GS ..

During The war the Canadians had a large vehicle manufacturing plant in Oshowa ( GMC)and were licenced to produce military vehicles ...their designs were based loosely on existing military vehicles such as the Morris vehicles but with Chevrolet running gear hence the reference to Canadian pattern .

I visited The oshowa plant site about 15years ago and there was a small museu. Relating to camp x on site plus a. Collection of CMP vehicles . These and other vehicles are now house at the oshawa tank museum .I

There are a number of CMP vehicles in private collectors hands . The military Vehicle trust may be able to help you identify owners near you if you want to see one .

Hope that helps 

Jenkinov

• Like 1

Hi Geraint 

The AT on the rear of the vehicle would normally refer.to Anti Tank .you can also see cables on the rear (centre) of the truck a common feature on anti tank tows ...I imagine the vehicle was 're allocated to the RAF police and the original markings left in place ...

Jenkinov

• Like 1

Hi Geraint 

The picture with the tendencies vehicles  in convoy features a Canadian Chevrolet CMP GS this has RAF Police written on the front radiator and a 30 mph speed indicated on the fender .This was to assist if it was in a convoy. The armoured car at the front is an Indian pattern  carrier mark 2a these commonly had names and serial numbers neither are clearly visible but their is a RAF rounded on the front glacis plate .

The imperial war museum has a photo of a similar armoured car in service in North Africa in 1942 called Dhar IV

Jenkinov

Or 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...