Willys Jeep 1942 rebuild.

Rick W

Stripped down the chosen engine to do all necessary engine work, I wont do an in depth blog of an engine rebuild as there is a very good in depth one on G503 forum.

A question though, of all my MB blocks, all 2 of them both have slight pitting around the face of the block around the cylinder/valve holes. Is this common for these? Do they need refacing or can they be alright if not too bad?

Rick

When I rebuilt my spare MB engine last year, that block was slightly pitted, so I used a good covering of 'RED' gasket sealer both sides of the gasket.

Your an Engineer, is that a bad thing to do ?

Jules

No its not bad! Claiming Im an engineer is!Although I did manage to make a cable end jaw clamp out of a clevis pin today for one of the C8 cables. We need a base floor pattern to carry on with that. The engine Im using is painted blued underneath, any ideas why that is?

• 3 months later...

Ok, Rear diff strip down and rebuild pics, using new bearings etc.

As found, with the rest of the vehicle.

jeep002.jpg

Lots of muddy oil and bits of metal in diff.

jeep006.jpg

Cleaned out ready for new parts.

jeep010.jpg

New parts fitted and reassembled.

jeep019.jpg

Rear drum and shoe assembly fitted.

jeep020.jpg

jeep021.jpg

jeep021.jpg

Nice job done. :clap:

Just a note, I think the hole in the half shaft should be over the solid part of the hub. You can then screw in one of the bolts when you want to remove it and it acts as a puller. Hope that makes sense.