Willys Jeep 1942 rebuild.

Rick W

This will be a verylong restoration I feel! The priority is the restoration of the Morris son that does take priority, but the jeep will be added to whenever the bits come along! Not having oodles of cash to buy a wartime jeep I decided my best bet would be to get one that needed a complete rebuild. As luck would have it one came up for sale, that needed more than a complete rebuild- it was a bare chassis and running gear! This doesnt seem as insane as it might as it means I didnt have to strip down bodywork etc to start with a chassis, so saving a bit of time!

jeeplog003-1.jpg

I have the front bodywork, no tub. All running gear, diffs, drums, springs but no engine and gearbox.

The vehicle was a bit of a mystery to start with as regards the chassis plate, it had a British chassis plate that had been replaced in a different place which was a bit odd.

jeeplog002.jpg

With some helpful answers from some forum members it was decoded by and large and turns out to be a jeep that was in British service. Which made it a bit different and bit better!

I received the service record card back from Deepcut and it points to it having been in service with the RAOC. So the plan is to rebuild it as a bomb disposal jeep, in Brit markings of course!

Edited by Jack

That really depends on wether or not I do things like get a fully recon engine, or decent second hand one. Do I get a new bodytub at £1,200 or try and find a halfway decent original to weld up. Including the original chassis purchase, I certainly dont expect to see much change from about £4,000, but I'm going to keep a close record on what I spend on this, so we shall see!

That really depends on wether or not I do things like get a fully recon engine, or decent second hand one. Do I get a new bodytub at £1,200 or try and find a halfway decent original to weld up. Including the original chassis purchase, I certainly dont expect to see much change from about £4,000, but I'm going to keep a close record on what I spend on this, so we shall see!

That's not a lot of money for a WWII jeep!

What might be a money saver, make a trip to mainland europe and get parts here. With the pound still at 1,40 euro parts are relatively cheap here.

get one that needed a complete rebuild.... This doesnt seem as insane as it might as it means I didnt have to strip down bodywork etc to start with a chassis, so saving a bit of time!

I am interested to hear how your "jeep from the parts bin" restoration approach turns out. I think you will get over the UKP 4000 mark. But it might very well turn out to be a beter approach than to buy a restored and running jeep, which often turns out in need of having things rectified and or re-restored to get it up to your personal standards and taste.

Please keep us posted on your progress!

Hanno

Hi Rick,

as you are needing a lot of parts would it not be easier if possible to try and get the items Stateside and pay for part of a container ?? i am told the parts are cheaper but shipping is the killer.

Downside is waiting for the the `bulk` purchase to arrive :-( Unless you just purchase all major parts from the U.S. and get smaller items locally/European so`s to speak.

Ashley

Thanks guys, I will do a price comparison of getting parts from the UK, Europe and US and see how they compare. Engine and gearbox I intend to find a reasonable 2nd hand ones and rebuild. Dallas Dig out might prove to be useful. I think thats the end of the month, anyone got a date on that?

Thanks guys, I will do a price comparison of getting parts from the UK, Europe and US and see how they compare. Engine and gearbox I intend to find a reasonable 2nd hand ones and rebuild. Dallas Dig out might prove to be useful. I think thats the end of the month, anyone got a date on that?

This Sunday 21st Oct. I will be there - look for a stall with a Green Focus estate and say 'Hello'.

Robert Davey

as you are needing a lot of parts would it not be easier if possible to try and get the items Stateside and pay for part of a container ?? i am told the parts are cheaper but shipping is the killer.

Or try and get a few other lads to order stuff to and devide the shipping. I'm sure there are more people on HMVF interested in cheap spare parts.

• 1 month later...

Quick update on what I have gathered for the jeep and how much for, so far a mixture of GPW and Willys, but all period except gearbox, which is the later type.

Chassis, running gear, springs front body panels.....£900

Ford scripted tub, including dash, dials, windscreen and heater!....£350

1942 MB engine including water pump, head, transfer, carb, manifolds etc....£750

Gearbox, later post war type........£75

MB Rad, seat,tool box lid, glove box, various small bits, spare screen frame...£400

Total spent so far...£2475. The only major components I am missing at the moment are wheels to make the chassis rollable. Will obvously rebuild engine , box and trans so will purchase the various rebuild bits for those, fuel tank, more seats and wiring loom.

I think the expense will come in the bits and bobs. The advantage here is I can spread the cost as I gather parts.

Quite probably, :roll:...........its nearly always the smaller lumps, etc that are either scarce, (read expensive, :whistle:) or unobtainable, when you want them..................