WD/CO 350 1943/44 - New owner

MJL75

Hello all,

I'm Martin from Worcestershire (UK) and I am the proud new owner of an unrestored WD/CO 350 from 1943/44.

Jan (rewdco) has very kindly helped to find and secure the bike for me from Belgium where it had been imported from Denmark in the not too distant past.

Originally I was in contact with Jan to see if I was correct in my identification of the bike, which is in an undated photograph that has recently come to me of my late father working on it (1950's?). I was also keen to see if it was identified in the WD350 database, unfortunately it looks like my fathers bike has likely gone to the scrapyard at some point.

I've  had an interest in classic cars and motorbikes for as long as I can remember having had a 57' Morris Traveller, 85 Metro, 75 Triumph Toledo, 67 Honda C200 to name a few.

This is the earliest motorcycle I have owned and I am looking forward to 'oily rag' restoring the bike to retain its history and patina.

I would appreciate any help or advice and to virtually 'meet' other owners and enthusiasts of these fabulous bikes! 

Thanks,

Martin

Glyn & Martin.jpeg

IMG_3030.jpeg

IMG_6828.jpeg

Hello Martin. If Jan has confirmed it as 1943/4 and not a Royal Enfield factory post-war rebuild, then someone has re-painted it black. Therefore it has lost it's original finish and any "patina" that there might have been. 

I guess you want it to replicate your Dad's bike though?  I can understand that. I just have a problem with "patina" (rust).

Good to meet another enthusiastic CO owner. I'll watch with interest.  Regards Ron

DSCF2758.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Ron,

Jan told me the following about the bike;

"The engine with a “duplicated frame number” was despatched from the Redditch factory on 30/03/1944, to the War Office in Ketley, as part of contract C/12425. Its census number would have been C5108727 (this was the number on the petrol tank).
The frame was despatched from the Redditch factory on 15/10/1943, to the War Office in Sheffield, as part of the RAF contract C/14219. Unfortunately the RAF census numbers are unknown.

So this is a genuine WW2 bike, which has been civilianized shortly after the war, and exported to Denmark (this must have happened in 1946 according to the paperwork)."

I understand that the refurbished bikes from the factory were painted black for export?

Thanks,

Martin

• Like 1

Well we could be "CO" buddies Martin! Mine is also from RAF contract C/14219, and like yours was fitted with an engine from a WD contract. However I recently acquired the correct crankcase for our contract from a very nice Dutch guy, and have rebuilt my engine into those cases. 

As Jan says, There is no WW2 list of RAF census numbers, but I was lucky enough to make contact with an RAF museum archivist who has some post war records which has a bike with a frame number next to mine and a reasonable presumption that mine would have the number shown on my tank.  

Cheers Ron 

PS This is the only picture that I know of so far of a CO from RAF contract C/14219 

RAF DSC03387.jpg

Edited by Ron

2 hours ago, MJL75 said:

Hi Ron,

Jan told me the following about the bike;

"The engine with a “duplicated frame number” was despatched from the Redditch factory on 30/03/1944, to the War Office in Ketley, as part of contract C/12425. Its census number would have been C5108727 (this was the number on the petrol tank).
The frame was despatched from the Redditch factory on 15/10/1943, to the War Office in Sheffield, as part of the RAF contract C/14219. Unfortunately the RAF census numbers are unknown.

So this is a genuine WW2 bike, which has been civilianized shortly after the war, and exported to Denmark (this must have happened in 1946 according to the paperwork)."

I understand that the refurbished bikes from the factory were painted black for export?

Thanks,

Martin

Your bike has not been rebuilt by the factory Martin. It does not appear in the ledgers with a second despatch date, and it does not have "matching numbers" (which all the factory rebuilt bikes did have, albeit with a restamped duplicated frame number on the engine. This number was stamped with an easy to recognise number set.) It must have been rebuilt by a dealer (this was also very often the case). Black or maroon with gold lining were the most popular colors in those days.

Jan

I have a few questions if I can ask please;

*I think the headlight body and lense are incorrect- is this from a model G?

*There's something missing from both sides of the fork here, is this a problem?

*The speedo is in a poor condition, not sure its correct either, is this worth saving?

*The levers on the left hand side of the handlebar are ignition and exhaust lifter? However there is no lever on the right for the air lever, I guess this has been lost?

*Is this button supposed to be the horn? I can't see an entry on it for wiring...

*The drivers handbook mentions two fuel taps, however there is no pipe work for the right hand side, should there be? Also the air filter body is empty, I couldn't see a specification for what this should contain?

*Lastly, are springs individually available for the saddles?

Sorry for all the questions, but I do appreciate any answers I receive.

Many thanks 

Martin

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

Probably easier if I post some pictures and descriptions.

Headlamp is a Lucas DU42 with WD 4 position switch and Lucas CZ27 ammeter. Handlebar controls are standard Amal.

You are missing the fork side damper knobs and spring stars.

Hitchcocks are the best firm to deal with and have good illustrated on line parts lists.   https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/  But a lot of the original Lucas and WD parts have to be hunted out.

Saddle mattress springs in lots of sizes available here:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Motorbike-Mattress-Saddle-Seat-Spring-8-Long/182935225976?hash=item2a97ca0678:g:g04AAOSw75BeLGTS

Ron

DSCF3151.jpg

DSCF3152.jpg

DSCF3154.jpg

13 hours ago, Ron said:

According to O&M, contract C/14219 were sent to RAF Sandtoft in North Lincoln, which was part of Bomber Command.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Sandtoft  Ron

Don't know where O&M got this info from Ron... According to the factory ledgers the RAF contract bikes were despatched to these destinations:

Barton: 2

Canterbury: 1

Carlisle: 314

Derby: 172

Glasgow: 61

Handforth: 308

Hartlebury: 442

Liverpool: 1

Manchester: 2

Qudegeley: 314

Sheffield: 1207.

Edited by rewdco

Blimey Jan, do you have frame numbers to go with those locations????  Ron

PS Sheffield is quite close to RAF Sandtoft. I wonder if they were sent to a depot at Sheffield before Sandtoft. Never the less, it seems and awfull lot of CO's for one airfield, unless it was the dispersal point?

Edited by Ron

2 hours ago, Ron said:

Blimey Jan, do you have frame numbers to go with those locations????  Ron

PS Sheffield is quite close to RAF Sandtoft. I wonder if they were sent to a depot at Sheffield before Sandtoft. Never the less, it seems and awfull lot of CO's for one airfield, unless it was the dispersal point?

Hello Ron,

Your frame was despatched from the factory on 17/07/1943 to the War Office in Derby, and your engine was despatched on 02/06/43 to the War Office in Sheffield.

Jan

22 hours ago, 79x100 said:

What about a possible  UNRRA connection, Jan ? Haven't you seen before that there were WD/COs supplied in Northern Europe ? Rebuilt Home Office stocks would be a candidate for that and could explain the mix of Army and AM contracts.

Don't think so Rik... I have found some UNRRA bikes in Eastern Europe, but not up North... Denmark was a very important export market for the British motorcycle industry in the years before and after the war! I think the bike must have been rebuilt by one of these dealers...

British_motorcycles_ad.jpg

post war ad 2.jpg

It's a tool box as fitted to earlier models. They were deleted after the first contract WD/CO and strictly speaking it wouldn't have been fitted to mine. But I just didn't like the ugly gap and the "Wing Commander" said it was ok for me to fit it!!!😉 Ron 

436.JPG

456.JPG

• Like 1

Martin I think you have a few continental items fitted....... pillion saddle- speedo- horn push- air filter. A broken dip-switch and your combination mag/decompresser is similar to the one fitted to Ariel's. Personally I don't think the speedo is worth saving. You would be better to put your money toward a correct period or WD type Smiths chronometric speedo.

Ariel pictures attached!   Ron

DSCF0829.jpg

WING 077.JPG