Tapley meter instructions

john fox

Question

OK, so I have purchased a Tapley (BM) meter. It is functional but is without instructions.

Google finds threads from others saying its hard to find the instructions on how to set it up/ use it..

Can anyone help please?

it is the "older model", ie version with two scales for stopping distance and % efficiency scales 

tapley.jpg

Also, and this really is a stupid question, what should the stopping distances of Ferret (Mks 1, 1/2, and 2) and CVRW Fox be? 

Edited by john fox

6 answers to this question

The Ferret (Mk 1-5) stopping distances should be in the Inspection Standards EMER WHEELED VEHICLES V 628  Part 2 Base Inspection Standard - Road testing. This should give the distance for various speeds & a Tapley value.

Part 1 is the Field Inspection Standard which should give a Tapley value but not likely to give more than one stopping distance.

I only have Part 1, I'll look tomorrow in the meantime someone may come up with the figures from Part 2.

I have a Tapley still in the box; I think the instructions are in the lid. If I can find it I'll post them. I don't remember them as complex, though; from admittedly ancient memory, level it, release the lock drive at 20 mph and brake hard but progressively.

9 hours ago, fv1609 said:

I only have Part 1, I'll look tomorrow in the meantime someone may come up with the figures from Part 2.

This gives two sets of figures for Field Standard

Field Minimum Standard

Tapley 44%

30mph stopping distance 68ft

Field Repair Standard

Tapley 54%

30mph stopping distance 55ft

1 hour ago, Sean N said:

John, I'm sorry, I can't find that Tapley, it's obivously vuried somewhere.

Clive's figures suggest my memory may be faulty and it could be 30 mph, not 20 mph, which now I think about it sounds right.

OK, the dial on the meter itself says from 20mph level road so I'll keep an open mind for now