Battery charging sets.

Help please I've just been give 2 of these sets 1950's British. the idea is to make one work, the other will be left in kit form as part of a static display. I've stripped and cleaned everything, no problem except no spark. not being a magneto expert I've cleaned and tidied everything, it was filthy. Can anyone tell me the procedure to set up timing and ignition or point me in direction of manual please?

Tony,

That looks like a BSA 300 watt charging set. Unless you have disturbed the points mounting plate, the timing should be alright. I do not have any info on these, but used to get a lot in for repair in my past employment. The main troubles we had with them was sticking valves, where they had been stood for a while. The manual, I think, an Clive will confirm, is in EMER Power. A rule of thumb for timing would be points just breaking when piston is 1/16" BTDC. A lot of people do not realise that these sets have form of dynostart, meaning, if there is a battery connected for charging, with a little bit of power in it, by pressing the red button on the panel it will self start, better than snatching away with a frayed old rope! Is the points gap on the data plate attached to flywhhel cover?

Unfortunately mate, the whole lot has been disturbed. I'm impressed the set is exactly what you said. The 2 have diffrent set ups on points etc, so I've swapped the plates to get the best combination of mechanical and electrical, the other set of electrics are finished. Are they 4 stroke? Sorry for silly question but want to make sure I'm doing nothing silly. the Dyna start on the beast goes like the clappers, as you say better than string but less excises. Gaps etc are all on the plate and fortunately visible. Hell of a piece of kit, want it to work, especially in A88 end of nowhere on winter mornings.

Tony

I'm impressed the set is exactly what you said. The 2 have diffrent set ups on points etc, so I've swapped the plates to get the best combination of mechanical and electrical, the other set of electrics are finished. Are they 4 stroke?

Tony,

Yes, they are 4 stroke, hence the valves sticking, nearly always the exhaust one. I could not remember there being two differing points set ups. There are actually two versions, the 15 volt, for charging 12v batteries and the 30 volt for charging 24 volts. There is a variable charge rate knob on there and they really do put in a good charge. as I said, these postwar ones were made by BSA, but are based on the WW2 Canadian Chorehorse, built by the Outboard Motor Corp.

thanks Andy, the data plates read Charging set 300 watt Mk1 O.M.&M. no date on plate, this is the one in better condition. the other is marked Charging set , E.D. 300 watt, 15 volts

W^D Serial B9747/M153/54 B.S.A, 1953. amps 20 volts 15 watts 300 r.p.m. 2,200 points plug gap etc are identical just the points plate is diffrent. Both have variable output and dyna start. the 19 set group do have manuals on line so will, if i can figure out how, download. At least ther elittle toys and will fit in the living room on cold wet evenings. :-D

thanks Andy, the data plates read Charging set 300 watt Mk1 O.M.&M. no date on plate, this is the one in better condition.

Tony,

Andy who? Must have meant me! Justr to say, that the OM&M one is an original Canadian Chorehorse, hence why the cntacts are different, I did wonder if that might have been the reason.

Richard

Sorry Richard, brain on holiday. That may well explain the diffrences. When I get a chance I'll take some phots and post them. at least these are small enough toys to come inside on a cold winter night. :-D Having trouble getting the manuals out of the 19 set unfortunatley.

If I remember this right save the passwords. Download and save the file.

When you go to open the file its password protected.Either type in the password or for one of the 19 set passwords its so long its copy and paste

Hope this helps

Chris

Hey all, it lives, IT LIVES :-D Finally got the thing to fire up this morning, still having a bit of trouble getting the neddle valve set properly but I'm taking it up to the yard and putting it to work. The elctrical side of it is fine pumping out 13.9 at 15 amps. :-D

Hi Mate, the Chore Horse Canadian set is now running. It has the magneto plate points and condenser + flywheel from the 1953 BSA set on it. Externally the thing looks totally original. She has just been running up at the yard charging batteries. The exhaust box has rusted beyond any real use so I'll have to make something up, but otherwise in perfect condition. This unit will go on the Dodge along with the 19 wireless set and the H.R.O. recivier. She will be showing next year as a Y Service Special Liasion unit truck and have all the radios working so the set will be essential as the current draw is horrendous. The bits left will be cleaned up and hopefully go on display at Bletchley Park. They have offred Goldbeach space up there to store the Bedford QL Y Service interceptor truck.The idea is to create a display in the garage area of the truck being checked and made ready for D-Day, she actually landed D+3. The set will be on a bench, in parts with period tools laid out as if being serviced prior to use. Waste not want not

:-D i'll get some photos up over the next couple of days.