24v to 12v

hanktheyank44

I have seen plenty written about doing this to a FFR but has anyone actually done it and what are the pitfalls - not decided myself as I wanted to pull a caravan to shows in the future however now I have seen a gadget that provides 12v I am not so fussed. Steve

FFR What vehicle is it? Are you simply wanting to go down to 12 v for the caravan? Seems a bit of a sacrifice, is the caravan just to be used with this vehicle? You could change the caravan bulbs to 24 volts & disconnect the vehicle supply that charges the 12 volt leisure battery. Why not just fit a tail board with 24v bulbs just for when you tow the caravan with MV? If the vehicle has a screened ignition system you need to remove that & the ballast resistors otherwise you lose HT efficiency as the energy is lost to some degree by the capacitance of the screened cables. Then you have to change starter motor, generator, etc etc. Then you have destroyed some of the originality & devalues the vehicle to my mind.

FFW fitted for Wireless the old 19 sets or 22. These beasts take about 90 amps for transmit and being vavlve sets generate a n enourmous heat. Were actually used up to late 70's to momitor some of the oppositions kit.

FFR, came in with the solid state revolution, less power drain les sheat.

Actually any vehicle can be FFR. Just means extra screening and 24 volt supply.

Indeed but LR was (is) available out of the box either 24v fitted for radio (FFR) or 12v, not (GS). Armoured vehicles are expected to carry radio, HGVs etc are already 24v and part way there and few other B vehicles carry radios out of the box (apart from Cars, Staff, 4x2 which these days may come with a receiver in the dash board, but they didn't in my day).

I stand by my guess at Land Rover.

FFW fitted for Wireless the old 19 sets or 22. These beasts take about 90 amps for transmit and being vavlve sets generate a n enourmous heat. Were actually used up to late 70's to momitor some of the oppositions kit.

FFR, came in with the solid state revolution, less power drain les sheat.

Not necessarily, I know FFW sounds quaint & archaic but as far a Pigs (& Champs) go:

GS although a screened 24v system, not normally expected to use radio eqpt, but could be installed. These pigs would have 3 antenna mounts fitted as standard. So a radio of some sort was half expected.

FFW a 24v system with 2-speed dynamo for low rev charging. Contains basic radio fittings.

FFR is a modified FFW to accept multipurpose installation kits for quite a wide range of sometimes complex radio combinations. (In addition to this the FFR pig had a 4th antenna mount fitted to the rear off side corner).

Sorry - seems I was in my own little world assuming everyone knew what I was talking about - yes it is my newly aquired 1983 Landover series III FFR ex School of Infantry Warminster that I meant. I agree to convert it would lose some of its originality so will probably leave it alone, only wanted to guage opinion as in my group of mates all either serving or ex REME there are suggestions that for ease it would be better to convert to 12v. This is all based on my personal and their experiences on working on L/R FFR's especially electrical faults. At least leaving out the L/R bit provoked some interesting responses. Steve

Hi Steve, I've done the conversion on a Series lll 109 FFR, although it was about 25 years ago! I removed absolutely everything that wasn't required for a 'standard' 12 volt vehicle. Fortunately I had a written off Series lll Lightweight as a donor vehicle so I had everything I needed. Have a look here for a cheap donor vehicle if you go ahead. http://www.ljacksonandco.com/

Andy.

Tony, you are right of course however it is the cost - I bought the old girl as a project over the winter and really did not want to invest that sort of money when I have the Dodge and the Jeep to keep on the road. I have tried to get a half chassis but these have disappeared off the market. Not sure what I should do? Steve