Fuel consumptions.

Tony B

Hi Mate, yes that was the only one I could think off. Also mentions Dragons, were these the carrier type vehicles? By the way been on a Gondola yet? :-D

Part 2

Hi Tony,..........think they were.

W&Tracks had an article on them, I believe;..................I'll have a look when I get a chance.

Hi Lee I notice the Dragons are divided into Light and Heavy, so I'm guessing the Heavy must be artillery tractors. the dates on these pamphlets are just prior to WW2 literally by months. they apear to be issued on a weekly basis, similar i suppose to the current bullitin system except no sell by date.

Tillings-Stevens searchlight units? although I'd have thought they'd have been obsolete by then :dunno:

Was talking to the owner of one of these vehicles at Brenzett, a while ago, his was ( from the little he'd been able to find out,) used as searchlight in london area,during blitz, he thinks operated by ATS lassies.

Interesting concept,...........and vehicle, not seen another one in preservation, and being used.

Was talking to the owner of one of these vehicles at Brenzett, a while ago, his was ( from the little he'd been able to find out,) used as searchlight in london area,during blitz, he thinks operated by ATS lassies.

That would be Bill, he has two TS19 searchlight trucks, I think they date from around 1936, but a later model, TS20, came out about 1939/40, there was one of these laying at Ashford many years ago, but went to preservation, by whom I do not know because it has never surfaced to my knowledge.

Does anyone have any idea what the Lubricant grades are about?

Tony,

Here are the grades of oil for those codes in your pamphlet;

C600 SAE140 gear oil

M800 equivalent to Essolube Heavy Gear oil

M265 SAE50 engine oil

M220 SAE40 engine oil

M120 SAE20 engine oil (used in diesels)

Vac BB Mobiloil Heavy engine oil (civ. grade)

Hi Lee I notice the Dragons are divided into Light and Heavy, so I'm guessing the Heavy must be artillery tractors. the dates on these pamphlets are just prior to WW2 literally by months. they apear to be issued on a weekly basis, similar i suppose to the current bullitin system except no sell by date.

Tony,

I know in his series on British Tanks,David Fletcher does mention them quite a bit.

This is the series he did for HMSO, of which I've pt 1 and they are not mentioned in it.

(have just googled dragon artillert tractor - results as follows.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artillery_tractor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_6-Ton

Andy note there are 2 listings Light and Heavy. Was it a generic term used at the time for a class of vehicles.

It is Light and Medium, there does not appear to have been a heavy. I think the term "dragon" comes from its role of gun tractor, (ie drag gun : dragon).

The Medium was obsolete by early war but used for training, powered by an Armstron Siddeley 8-cyl engine of 90 hp. It looks like it was based on the Vickers Medium tank

It is Light and Medium, there does not appear to have been a heavy. I think the term "dragon" comes from its role of gun tractor, (ie drag gun : dragon).

The Medium was obsolete by early war but used for training, powered by an Armstron Siddeley 8-cyl engine of 90 hp. It looks like it was based on the Vickers Medium tank

Thanks Richard,..................... :-) thats the one I was talking about. :-D

Will still dig out article, as and when.