AFV432 - Underwater GPS and Measurements

SimonBrown

Many of you will know I'm into a) armoured/tracked vehicles and b) underwater photogrammetry. I also err towards doing stuff with accuracy and for topside models I like to use GPS to drive the accuracy and location of what I scan.

Up until now underwater GPS has been, to put it bluntly, a bit problematic. Radio waves don't penetrate the water and us divers can't use it.

Until now. Last week I was working with the Finnish manufacturer of an underwater GPS positioning system. Its a seriously good bit of kit - still beyond your average diver but very cost effective.

Anyway, I ended up scanning an AFV432 hulk. I have scanned it before, but did it again using the GPS feed to locate the cameras and scale the model:

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/vobster-quay-afv432-3d4821a40fe44b4283068062a3a0e9eb

I could do with verifying the scale/size of the model - some check dims work out to be plus/minus 3% or thereabouts - but does anyone have a 432 close by and wouldn't mind running a tape measure over theirs for me?