A/C radio equipment

Baz48

Bog standard R1155 HF receiver as used in most Brit medium to heavy aircraft and air-sea rescue launches. Commonly called  a"Lancaster" radio. Not particularly heavy as for airborne use but some were in steel as opposed to aluminium cases so would be heavier. The pictured one looks pretty tatty and rusty but seems virtually unmodified, which is quite rare nowadays. They need a fairly specific power supply which in practice means home built. I wouldn't put power anywhere near it without a close internal inspection. There are lethal voltages in there and if it still has the original rubber insulated wiring it will have crumbled away to dust.

2 hours ago, gordonb said:

Bog standard R1155 HF receiver as used in most Brit medium to heavy aircraft and air-sea rescue launches. Commonly called  a"Lancaster" radio. Not particularly heavy as for airborne use but some were in steel as opposed to aluminium cases so would be heavier. The pictured one looks pretty tatty and rusty but seems virtually unmodified, which is quite rare nowadays. They need a fairly specific power supply which in practice means home built. I wouldn't put power anywhere near it without a close internal inspection. There are lethal voltages in there and if it still has the original rubber insulated wiring it will have crumbled away to dust.

It's one of two in similar condition we came across while having a mover around. While it looks tatty it appears complete in reasonable condition certainly suitable for light cleaning to keep the patina. I haven’t been inside it and it’s not likely to be powered up I am curious as to what it is and what the use was. After the move round curiosity may get the better of me and I might take the case off just to see.

Thank you for all the comments it's appreciated, radio kit is not my particular interest :- Barry