Daimler CB22

PITT24423

Next project !! After a bit of toing and froing we`ve decided to do another CB22 as we have found and located enough bits to build another one which actually amounts to more than we had for the first one plus we have the bonus of knowing what should be where and what needs to go in which hole.I was fortunate to be offered a bus body for the Palladium and when I went to look at it found it was sitting on a Daimler chassis the same as the one we had rebuilt a couple of years ago this one being exactly 100 vehicles younger according to the chassis numbers.Earlier this year a "British" bus body came up on EBAY which was we believe was originally fitted to a Daimler CC which equates to almost the same as the CB but the chassis rails are slightly further apart but the engine ,transmission and diff we believe were the same .I`m sure someone will dig out some info to the contrary now I`ve put my head above the parapet !! Going to start in ernest on the body  as this will take the lions share of the time as we are not coach builders and the mechanical stuff comes easy so we`ll use this as a form of R & R .At this stage we think about 90% of the steel brackets and the bulkhead are salvageable with most of the timber being pattens only due to the "newness" being worn away.

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

12.jpg

IMG_1508.JPG

IMG_1643.JPG

IMG_2332.JPG

IMG_2337.JPG

IMG_2336.JPG

IMG_2348.JPG

IMG_2346.JPG

IMG_2349.JPG

IMG_2354.JPG

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here`s an up date.We now have seemed to of acquired our resident "old boy" Dave who`s quite handy with the wood hence we are on a bit of a roll ,timber for body ordered with a bit of "mate rate "and off we go,not much of the original timber was salvageable but the main front bulkhead is plus nearly all the steel brackets and bars.As with my other projects we opted to use Sapele as we like its stable characteristics and its ability to take paint.The majority of the original body was Elm and luckily I have some elm which we will use for the floor boards and inspection hatches .

IMG_2394.JPG

IMG_2395.JPG

IMG_2319.JPG

IMG_2515.JPG

IMG_2520.JPG

IMG_2522.JPG

• Like 2

Delightful !  I assume you have made a full set of plans taken from the old body. It would be interesting to know how they compare with other bodies of the time. What variations occurred over the years?

Doug

Haven`t made any drawings just copying everything we have with the exception of the two main chassis beams which we made 1 1/2" wider whilst maintaining the original o/a width so they fit fully on the CB chassis.This detail will be almost unnoticeable once bolted down and in theory we can swap the body onto a correct chassis if we found one .This is because the original  CC chassis is flared out about 3" from behind the driver where the body sits.

There`s a couple of "British " bodies surviving and from the info we have they are all very much the same .What is amazing is the quality of the joinery and the complexity of the combined joints on some of the uprights which is then all covered up . The rear corner posts being the most complex as they are cut and formed to lean out to the side and rear with a crank ,so might have to do a practice cut on some softwood before we tackle the Sapele !

At this stage we haven`t a clue about the rear step , stair or top deck yet so if anyone has some info please send it across.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect it's made up. The wheel looks like that on a MET  bus, but the cab and top deck doesn't. But since that's about the limit of my knowledge I stand to be corrected.

edit:- I  found this picture of a Gearless bus, which looks a bit more similar to the drawing

Steve

Gearless Daimler chassis.jpg

Edited by GrainKitten
picture and text added

Haven`t done to much as we have been busy getting our gear ready for Dorset but managed to get the floor boards down and the tread bars but couldn`t resist a photo before we fitted them as the elm looked fantastic almost to good. I`ll add a pic with the tread bars next time.

IMG_2533.JPG

IMG_2530.JPG

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Finally getting back to normal after getting covered in Dorset dust which is better than the mud ! Dave has I think got addicted to the bus and has worked miracles on the parts I struggled to get my head round . Had a couple of nice touches firstly the felt on the roof let go when it belted it down with rain which promptly showed up where the seats were positioned on the upper deck.The rain also washed off some of the white wash reveling the seating capacity in and out on one of the window rails.

IMG_2736.JPG

IMG_2743.JPG

IMG_2741.JPG

IMG_2734.JPG

IMG_2725.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Got a bit more done all this curved timber is up Daves street coming from a boat building back ground , don`t think I could of done these on my own.Flipped the roof over to remove and salvage the steel brackets .Unfortunately the roof beam steel plates were past saving so I rolled some new ones (3 pairs ) the body isn`t square and had a 1" taper towards the rear from new so the difference is split along the length .We know this because the front bulkhead width and the rear bulk head steel frame are original giving us fixed points. 

IMG_2744 (1).JPG

IMG_2800.JPG

IMG_2799.JPG

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Got stuck in to the body most evenings and the last couple of weekends which we now feel we breaking the back of it .Ali bulkhead was rotten so a copy was made ,this was screwed plus I bonded on with Silaflex which will give it added rigidity .There is an original small cast steel hook on the top corner offside of the driver.If anyone knows what it was for as I think it maybe to tie the windscreen up but there is only one hook from new on the offside.There was enough remains of the battery box to copy and all the steel bracing was cleaned up and reused.The roof grab bars/strengthening rods had the treatment and are now in place but we won’t tension until we fit the roof boards.

9EFA50B7-4597-40F5-8D3B-4B7E7291E4F0.jpeg

1C315175-BB4F-4725-9C6B-EFE4D52939DC.jpeg

1A40B246-85CA-454F-81DF-88BCCE57C08E.jpeg

01002BD8-37A2-4FD2-9503-B98531348CC1.jpeg

AB28C7B3-C29A-4538-BDA6-2BD890CF425D.jpeg

5BDC3FE8-387C-44A1-895A-3AA65900DC42.jpeg

8E611602-C9B4-484E-96BF-D5D59E00D7E3.jpeg

B44A9947-5A49-451B-83DE-A141512EC591.jpeg

530FE1AE-C7AB-412B-B635-0911B8EB604D.jpeg

96D1573A-B469-493B-9A7E-5D8A8BBF44F4.jpeg

4DC13A14-BFAA-4ED9-9852-2363D3CF04EB.jpeg

C7AB1B18-BEA9-474E-8164-FB41FEB67C5F.jpeg

BC745110-9131-4B9E-BF7E-D2A09D90374E.jpeg

• Like 8

You are doing amazing work.  Keep it up.  I do hope the Phillips head screws will be covered up. The credited inventor of the Phillips screw was John P. Thompson who, in 1932, patented (#1,908,080) a recessed cruciform screw and in 1933, a screwdriver for it.  After failing to interest manufacturers, Thompson sold his self-centering design to Phillips in 1935.

There is nothing which gets my goat more than Phillips head screws on a restoration predating the invention by Thompson of the square headed screw slot Phillips Head screw.

As I said, amazing work.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lynx42 Rick Cove said:

You are doing amazing work.  Keep it up.  I do hope the Phillips head screws will be covered up. The credited inventor of the Phillips screw was John P. Thompson who, in 1932, patented (#1,908,080) a recessed cruciform screw and in 1933, a screwdriver for it.  After failing to interest manufacturers, Thompson sold his self-centering design to Phillips in 1935.

There is nothing which gets my goat more than Phillips head screws on a restoration predating the invention by Thompson of the square headed screw slot Phillips Head screw.

As I said, amazing work.

Come on they are No 2 pozi they have the extra little cross in the middle … keep up 😏.

I didn`t  have the right size slotted but they will get swapped in due course ,thanks for the compliment ..

• 2 weeks later...

Decided on the cab roof after a bit of deliberation and in theory you could put a saw through it to replicate the original lines.But after looking at all the different styles decided to model it on the B type and lines of the WW1 lorry as both are almost indentical outlines 

603BF328-2B0B-422A-9857-90FDDB3E43FA.jpeg

03FBD77E-3E3A-4345-A779-194C43CA45E9.jpeg

• Like 3