Completely new to all this.

Good evening. 

My names Paul. completely new to this sort of thing after coming from a life of fast cars. Currently in throws of doing HGV tickets and next onto tracked ticket. 

My aim is to buy a Ex army Unimog for off roading weekends and the odd show.

what else is everybody running that's quite modern and a possible alternative??

Regards

Paul. 

check out the cute Steyr-puch Haflinger or its bigger brother the Pinzgauer

both  have incredible off road capability. Pinzgauer is still in use with the MoD but quite recently some really nice condition late turbo diesels were auctioned off by withams at reasonable prices

30 minutes ago, halftrackman said:

We got a 1957 xk140  jag  with a 10 cylinder dodge viper engine and other cars.

That's going some, I thought my plan of putting an LS3 in my XJ6C was going to upset purists. It would be to make the car more usable in today's traffic and be more "green" you understand........

On 13 March 2019 at 8:32 PM, Lust4life said:

Great suggestions so far. To be more specific and helpful  I'm looking for a slightly bigger toy. Say 7.5T up.👍

Dare I say Bedford MJ or DAF, perhaps a Foden 6x6 gun limber?

2 minutes ago, Mk3iain said:

Dare I say Bedford MJ or DAF, perhaps a Foden 6x6 gun limber?

DAF can't be fitted with rear locker unless I spend billions on a custom set up.

6x6 can't be used as a off road  toy as it's over width limit I'm given to understand?

8 minutes ago, Lust4life said:

DAF can't be fitted with rear locker unless I spend billions on a custom set up.

6x6 can't be used as a off road  toy as it's over width limit I'm given to understand?

I would think any LGV that does not already have dif locks will be a custom job to modify.

I am sure there will be a larger military vehicle out there with dif locks as standard but I cannot think of one right now. Does anyone know of any?

What is the width limit, I'm not sure of the with of a Foden but someone on here will be able to advise.

Iain

I've been checking up on the Foden FH70 gun tractor and it seems to have dif locks all over the place.

I've always liked them but never had one. Comes complete,with a tea shack on the back and a crane to help load your stuff.

Iain

Edited by Mk3iain
Oops

15 hours ago, Mk3iain said:

I would think any LGV that does not already have dif locks will be a custom job to modify.

I am sure there will be a larger military vehicle out there with dif locks as standard but I cannot think of one right now. Does anyone know of any?

What is the width limit, I'm not sure of the with of a Foden but someone on here will be able to advise.

Iain

Foden limber, prototype recovery and production recovery are within 2.5m wide so comply with C&U regs.  Only downside to the limber and prototype recovery is the less attractive metal cab compared with the composite on the recovery.  All have 4 difflocks.

16 hours ago, Mk3iain said:

That's going some, I thought my plan of putting an LS3 in my XJ6C was going to upset purists. It would be to make the car more usable in today's traffic and be more "green" you understand........

Our trackday RX7 with a 6.2 LS3 really upsets the rotary purists.....

Biggest problem with the XJ6C is the bendy body, it is rather like a Bedford RL chassis.

53 minutes ago, radiomike7 said:

Foden limber, prototype recovery and production recovery are within 2.5m wide so comply with C&U regs.  Only downside to the limber and prototype recovery is the less attractive metal cab compared with the composite on the recovery.  All have 4 difflocks.

They seem to tick many of the right boxes for Paul, I still like the limber though.

50 minutes ago, radiomike7 said:

Our trackday RX7 with a 6.2 LS3 really upsets the rotary purists.....

Biggest problem with the XJ6C is the bendy body, it is rather like a Bedford RL chassis.

I had a VXR8 with the LS3 and it drove really nicely with a gentle right foot, ok it could liven up when asked. It's fairly modest compared to other GM crate engines, and it sounds Fantastic. With the right box it should be OK, I just need the money!

3 hours ago, Mk3iain said:

They seem to tick many of the right boxes for Paul, I still like the limber though.

What sort of price would they command?? Also parts availability? If it's anything like Jeep parts then I'd sway more towards a Mog. 

Had to ring the  states last year 3200miles away and get parts as my local dealer were less then useless. Complete ducking joke to be honest. 

18 hours ago, halftrackman said:

I have posted these pictures before, but hope all will get to see them,  I bought this jag in 1975 for 300 dollars without engine and tran.  They were 179 shipped to the USA in 1957 and we have one.  I thank the UK for a great car.

JAG.JPG

57 1.JPG

Gorgeous and a tad scary, perfect!

Many thanks for the advice guys n gals. I've decided on a Ex army Mog due to ease of repairs and parts availability. 

Can anybody see a issue with one as a daily drive. My jeep V8 does 15-20mpg anyway so couldn't see fuel being a Issue unless trying to pull the Empire State Building.  I'd get fast axles and intercooler upgrade for better road manners. 

Now to book Theory and hazard perception. 

Thouhts from the more experienced please. 

Regards.

IMG_9635.JPG

IMG_9650.PNG

Edited by Lust4life
Oops

Hi guys - this thread is a real eye-opener - and much appreciated. But what would be the best vehicle to transport a Saladin around the UK please? Had thought Foden 8x6 DROPS but hadn't realised that the width made it a no-no

Many thanks!

2 hours ago, Luger said:

Hi guys - this thread is a real eye-opener - and much appreciated. But what would be the best vehicle to transport a Saladin around the UK please? Had thought Foden 8x6 DROPS but hadn't realised that the width made it a no-no

Many thanks!

Leyland DAF DROPS??