Completely new to all this.

Thank you radiomike7. What are the pros and cons of the Leyland DAF DROPS versus the Foden please? Are there any for sale that you know of and how much do they go for please? 

And thank you John1950. In order: Don't mind if it's commercial or military. Limited use, so I don't expect running costs will become too big an issue. A Saladin is between 11 and 12 tonnes, just under 5 meters long and scrapes it at 2.54 meters wide. Hope this helps - any suggestions most welcome :) 

Huge thanks to one and all once again. 

1 hour ago, Luger said:

Thank you radiomike7. What are the pros and cons of the Leyland DAF DROPS versus the Foden please? Are there any for sale that you know of and how much do they go for please? 

And thank you John1950. In order: Don't mind if it's commercial or military. Limited use, so I don't expect running costs will become too big an issue. A Saladin is between 11 and 12 tonnes, just under 5 meters long and scrapes it at 2.54 meters wide. Hope this helps - any suggestions most welcome :) 

Huge thanks to one and all once again. 

They are both 8x6 with similar power trains and DROPS kit but the Leyland DAF is a medium mobility while the Foden is an improved medium mobility due to huge tyres (£3k each!) and a compensated front suspension similar to the rear. The Leyland DAF was a development of the Scammell S26 and is built to C & U regs so easy to register, AFAIK there are only 3 Fodens which were registered before the latest shake up. 

The other option would be a civilian 6 wheeler with a beavertail which can operate at 25 or 26 tons dependent on suspension type. 

There are a few Leyland DROPS in civvy life, but expensive to run both on fuel and tyres. Then you have an expensive drivetrain with a complicated Allison auto gearbox. Or you could go into the civillion market for a 3 or 4 axle beaver tail, slide back body, or hook loader. all available with manual or auto boxes, some more complicated than the Allison. They do not have the offroad capabillitys of the DROPS though. You could if you were not looking for long distance driving go for an agricultural Fast Track and low trailer. That would give you off road capability. With all of the options there are spares availability, drivers license and operators license implications to check into, as well as the cost of insurance for the different options. There is a Scammell with a converted Dyson trailer for sale on Milweb at the minute. Slow and steady but looks the part.   

14 minutes ago, john1950 said:

There is a Scammell with a converted Dyson trailer for sale on Milweb at the minute. Slow and steady but looks the part.   

The Scammell Pioneer was used by Coles circus in the 60s but with a top speed on the limiter of 18mph hardly practical.

The LD DROPS is pleasant to drive and a popular exhibit itself.

5 minutes ago, Luger said:

Once again - many, many thanks guys! I can see 18mph being a problem though but really appreciated nonetheless. If you see anything sportier I'd really appreciate the heads-up please

Cheers

Something like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAF-75-6X2-PLANT-WAGON-LORRY-TRUCK-RECOVERY-ANDOVER-BODY-BEAVERTAIL/303110460106?hash=item4692ca92ca:g:u8QAAOSw8ZxcnSaH

44 minutes ago, Luger said:

All I can say is "thank you" - I'll give them a call! But would a mileage of 358,188 kms be problematic?

No, at work we have about 60 DAF 75s that have done between 1.2 and 1.5 million kilometers with zero engine failures other than anciliaries such as water pumps, alternators and starters. They do about 150k km every year, double or triple shifted in most cases.