Eager Beaver steering box leak

Mk3iain

I have an oil leak from the input seal on the steering box, having noticed oil coming out the top of the steering column.

The parts book only shows the box as a unit and does not show any internal detail or parts. I have sent an email to Adan Hydraulics as they are shown as manufacturer, but no reply yet. It's been nearly 50 years since they made it.

Has anyone dealt with these or got any information, I am not sure if it can be repaired?  All help appreciated.

Many thanks

Iain

I did manage to buy a new box from them about five years ago, about 250 quid I think. they were very helpful at the time.I wouldn't recommend trying to repair it as I understand it can go horribly wrong.However there are some clever people on here. 

Other vehicles also had them on but often different gearing, I once 'borrowed' one from a sugar beet harvester and needed twice as many revolutions of the steering wheel to get round.

• 2 years later...

I tried contacting Adan Hydraulics but sadly got no response. Now have removed the unit to find it is a Danfoss steering unit, Type OSPB 315 ON.  NR. 150-0030. 

Just need to find the correct shaft seal or overhaul kit and service instructions. Lots of stuff online but a lot of different variants...

Now I've got that out for fixing (hopefully) I can look at the clutch and brake master cylinders and no doubt end up with a complete vehicle rebuild. 😕

IMAG0055.JPG

IMAG0054.JPG

IMAG0053.JPG

IMAG0052.JPG

From recollection of the Eager Beaver parts book, the power steering unit was under a Coventry Climax NSN, I can see it is a Danfoss, but likely a unit fitted to a Climax forklift in military service. The Eager Beaver was a 'parts bin' vehicle made up of parts from a number of different make vehicles.

1 hour ago, MatchFuzee said:

Thanks, I'll give them a shout and see if the can supply seals or an overhaul kit, they may advise against it but I have the service manual and it seems straight forward.  Famous last words.

OSPB/OSPC Type ON/CN Steering Units Service Manual (danfoss.com)

1 hour ago, Richard Farrant said:

From recollection of the Eager Beaver parts book, the power steering unit was under a Coventry Climax NSN, I can see it is a Danfoss, but likely a unit fitted to a Climax forklift in military service. The Eager Beaver was a 'parts bin' vehicle made up of parts from a number of different make vehicles.

In the parts book its down as supplied by Adan Hydraulics using part of the Danfoss number, they would not reply to requests.

I'm glad it turned out to be a Danfoss part as there is much more chance of getting it sorted, hopefully.

On 4/28/2021 at 9:42 PM, radiomike7 said:

32 page manual covering OSPB online if you havn't seen it.

https://assets.danfoss.com/documents/49939/AX152886480610en-000201.pdf

Thanks Mike, I have that. I have used it to strip my unit down and found the expected duff seals and a broken neutral spring.

I've also contacted a couple of firms for parts but await their response, just as well I'm not in a hurry.

Looking at it spread out I am trying to understand how it works....🤔

IMAG0057.JPG

IMAG0056.JPG

So far I can find the seal kits in the UK but springs are a 9 week lead time. I have found a supplier in Germany with both in stock as well as the steering unit complete.

Danfoss : 150-0030 : OSPB 315 STEERING UNIT - Holstein Hydraulik Shop

These things are not cheap !

The parts for future reference are;

Seal kit, 150N4040

Spring kit, 150-4207

I'll just get the parts !

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the seal kit and spring set as received from Germany.

I have rebuilt the unit as per the manual except for fitting the shaft seal as I don't have the correct tool but it fitted ok.

Now I have a problem, with the engine running and hyd pressure to other functions such as mast rams the steering has no hydraulic assistance.

I can turn the wheels with great effort as in the emergency mode, just, but it  seems like it has no hyd pressure.

There is a buzzing from the pressure side, maybe the steering prv ? 

Anyway,  first things first, the filter is showing half green/red when running so its drain the system again and change it.

Does anyone know the filter number ?  The book shows "filter element, fluid pressure. drawing number. 920-A-Z25"

IMAG0061.JPG

Edited by Mk3iain
Spelling..

I've pulled the filter, after removing the assembly and tank and...

Anyway, the element is full of brown slime and horrible, so was overdue replacing. It is a "Fairey filtration, replacement element  920P225". Does anyone know of equivalents ?

Many thanks

Iain

1 hour ago, MatchFuzee said:

Makes you think about the quality of oil and filters to use, not worth buying cheap if you can help (afford) it.

As an aside, I found a label from BI Engineering under the engine cover, an interesting company.

While sorting the steering I have removed the oil and fuel tanks,  drained the gearboxes and am doing a few other wee jobs, so  far...

The level indicator for the fuel tank has always leaked a bit when the level is high and is stained making the level hard to see. Ideally I would like to replace it but cannot find another, yet, or could it be repaired and cleaned ?

It is 505mm long with the holes 475mm apart on centres.

Cheers

Iain

IMAG0063.JPG