1940 Triumph 3SW Restoration

flyingfleasteve

Low tack Census numbers purchased from https://www.axholmesigns.co.uk/

There is certainly a knack to achieve a good finish.......

Ron I took your advice on the small Matt white paint rattle cans, it’s a small world, the eBay link you sent to me is for a shop just 2 miles from my front door!

pictures of them stencils now completed.....time consuming but worth the effort!

5F0C4CAB-6486-4D48-ACF0-FD00D422BDC6.jpeg

• Like 1

So avoiding putting the troublesome exhaust on I invested some time in fitting the newly restored lower tool box (directly behind the gearbox)

one thing that I noticed is the access inside of the tool box, once fitted, is slightly hindered because the lid is restricted by the rear stand spring lug (pillion foot peg anchor)

Is this normal?

my new 6” saddle springs arrived, so hoping to get them fitted also before Sunday’s trip!!

Yes I also have the 3HW type toolbox on my 5SW and it is hindered by the foot peg. It must have been acceptable, since it was fitted to the 3HW with the same frame. There is still room to get your sandwiches in or out. 

The prewar toolbox that is fitted to my 3SW has more complicated hinges which must step the lid out more. Ron

DSCF1571.jpg

3SW 111.JPG

Great, cheers Ron!

After nearly two hours of fettling I came to the same conclusion, another triumph ‘thing’!

Still as long as I can carry my Jaffa cakes......

Out of curiosity was the triangular tool box, located between the two rear mudguard stays, an early factory fitting or added later?

I am struggling to find one at the moment......

The triangle toolbox doesn't appear to be fitted to the 39 contracts but certainly at some point in 1940 they were fitted.  The girls had to have somewhere for their sandwiches and somewhere else for their handbag.☺️

The generic triangle boxes are usually available although there are dubious Indian examples, but the Triumph box  has special 'ears' for fixing to the stays which a friend in Texas got made for me, copied from his original. Ron 

Triumph Factory.jpg

3SW_ats1941.jpg

3SW_ATS_1943a.jpg

3SW 077.JPG

Yes I did Ron!

a late night getting it ready but well worth it......covering about 50miles or so it was nice to ride out to a great little show, what a setting!

Currently a joy to start, there’s a few little issues to tackle before France, mainly getting the paint to stick to the exhaust a weeping valve cover and minor clutch adjustments.

I hope to tackle these in the coming week with the aim of getting some more miles under my belt!

The rear rack now ordered with Jan, the end is in sight!!

Glad to here that you met up with my mate Dave and his WD Norton Model 18. He's in Gloucester and obviously made it over Offa's Dyke to your country. The front mudguard was in a terrible state so he entrusted it to me. It came up well, even if I do say so myself.

When he came down to collect it, he took the bike to my tube guy for a bespoke SS front pipe and also bought a SS silencer from Armour's which he grit blasted in my cabinet.

The bike pulls really well, even with Wendy perched on the canvas bag bum pad...... I've offered to rub in some goose grease.😉

47806004561_5cb4b2091b_b.jpg

Edited by Ron

My 5SW engine is a bit rattly in the the timing chest, despite having replaced the worn bushes in the timing cover and idler gear. The cams looked fine, I can only put it down to the lash in the timing gears. I haven't really listened to anyone else's SV Triumph to determine how normal it is for these.

There will always be a 'clack' as the lash in the gears at the point where the lift of the cam is transferred from pushing the valve open to being pushed by the closing valve. 

Ron 

I would have been completely stuffed without help when I built my experimental 350 Royal Enfield. Apart from the silencer, rear carrier and lots of other parts that we had to make......Take a look at the unique oil tank come air filter!! Ron

Schermafbeelding 2016-04-21 om 17.25.54.png

Schermafbeelding 2016-04-21 om 17.26.02.png

Schermafbeelding 2016-04-27 om 06.59.48.png

EXP DC 507.JPG

Schermafbeelding 2015-11-07 om 20.32.51.png

Edited by Ron