1940 Triumph 3SW Restoration

flyingfleasteve

Hope you chaps can help me with a question relating to the crankshaft flywheels on my T80. After splitting the crank and cleaning there seems to be a lot of side to side movement of the con rod. Not sure what the inside face of the flywheel is supposed to look like but it looks like the outer ring of the main bearing has worn a groove in both sides. I've put a picture with the groove showing. I would like to know if this groove should be there or not. If not anyone know how to best repair them.

IMG_20190619_124513547.jpg

IMG_20190619_124506896.jpg

• 4 months later...

Very nice photos, very helpful.

The only thing which I can´t find in any of the 3sw related posts in this forum seems to be a clear view of the parts which connect the girder fork to the frame. The bottom and top yoke and the smaller parts attached to them.

Does the attached photo show a Triumph Tiger 70 / 3sw bottom yoke?
How long would be  measurement "b" on such a 3sw bottom yoke, as this one might have been chopped?

Thanks in advance

q1klein.jpg

It is exactly 8"...now, but how long was it originally?

Stems cups - are these the "Set of Four Steering Head Bearings + Set Balls Bearings" which Cornucopia (in my neighbourhood) sells for 135 Euros? Guess I need a top yoke first..and then again I need to know how it looks like first.

Well I measured mine at 8" (on the bike) 

I was forgetting that Peter Long has the steering stem bearings. He probably gets them from the same guy I know. But be aware that 3HW spindles are different to 3SW/5SW.

Here are a couple of pix I have on file of my 3SW and 5SW top yokes. Ron 

3SW 164.jpg

DSCF1966.jpg

• Like 1

Judging by your last photo at least my top nut, the one under the steering damper knob, is correct.

How do I identify the correct steering damper knob?
This one for example would cost me more then 120 Euros, that would be a little too much for me, if it turns out to be the wrong one.

71770444_10157842464788958_8574165744126787584_n.jpg

Apart from the 3HW which were fitted with Webb forks. The same damper knob #DS6 was used on all the 38-39-40 girder models, and are quite hard to find. Good British made repros, when they are available are around £80-£100. Ron

Scan_20191024.jpg

I have this manual, these were made to confuse the enemy, so that they could not repair a captured 3sw, right? 

The DS6 knob has a tread, this tread is for attaching the mysterious part FS269, as far as I understand. Not for fixing the knob somehow to the head crown nut H94 or even to the lower yoke?
Am I correct that the DS6/FS269 combination is only forced down by the H200/H190 steering damper rod?  Otherwise it is sitting loose in the head crown nut H94?

Edit: I can´t find "FS269" in the manual, only "TS269", just under the DS6 knob.
Ok, I understand, they tried to confuse the Germans again.
Ha, didn´t work this time! 😛

Edited by Einbeck Bowl

FS269  is a misprint My other manuals state TS269 (Circlip). At the bottom of the damper knob is a molded in metal part. Inside this part is the thread that screws onto the damper rod. As you screw the knob down, it pulls up on the star washer and friction disc at the bottom of the steering stem (obvious function). Also in the metal part is a groove for the circlip, which is there to act as an anti unscrew device for the knob. However! All the ones I've seen that had anything in that groove, have had a leather washer. These days a simple 'O' ring would suffice..........If anything..... Mine has nothing and never undone itself.

If those pesky Germans couldn't work out how to fix it.....They would just use them as a 'Hop Up'.😣  Ron 

DSCF1968.jpg

Screenshot_20170516-184213 2_zpspvtr7rgx.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen this part, thanks. Will have a look at his other auctions.

I have this top yoke, it bothers me that it is exactly 15cm long, which might, maybe,  indicate a replica build in a country using the metric system?
The metric length of my lower yoke, the one with the damage in the middle of the main shaft, is only 14,8mm.

And at least one of the grease fitting holes seems to be at a different position, compared with your 3sw pictures.  No bushing inside this part.

DSC03783.jpg

I just checked on my 3HW (Webb forks) and that does have that steering bearing nipple on the right side. But I make the yoke measurement that you show as about 15.5 cm. (probably 6 inches if I could measure it accurately). I would also be suspicious of the casting. Ron 

3HW 125.JPG

I purchased the top yoke, so maybe frame and fork might be coming together after 4 years? Still a lot of smaller parts missing, the top attachment for mounting the spring to the top yoke, for example.

Is somebody producing the front axle for the 3sw/3hw?
I got a "Made in Britain" rear axle and modern Timken Bearings from Ace Classics, but nobody seems to produce a trustworthy front axle.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Ron,

I am just starting a 3SE restoration in Australia and have found your thread very useful. Unfortunately mine is missing inner and outer primaries so I have quite a challenge ahead. I don't think I will be able to obtain the original pressed metal cases of the 3SE but am trying to get something that will fit at this stage.

I have been told a 3T or TR5 outer will fit, does anyone know what inner might fit my bike?

Cheers, Tony

• 1 month later...