Warthogs on sale!

terryb

Terry, from what I understand, these were sourced through what is called an "Urgent Operational Requirement" or some similar type name. That allows sole sourcing and a different procurement process and speed and among other parameters. The fine print of that is they cant be brought back and put into regular service as this would be foul of the UOR. This is a similar process for may Countries not just the UK.

The thought process allows rapid introduction of kit to an operational theatre but doesn't allow MOD to put them into general use as it wouldn't be seen as "fair" to the defence production industry.

In the end the taxpayer looses but the troops on the ground get a better kit to save lives etc.

That is how it was explained to me a few years ago when I asked someone in the know who declined to be attributed  to that statement but was high up enough to be credible. I suspect MOD would not enjoy the spotlight of enquiry on the subject, there is more kit purchased like that than you would believe I am told.

3 hours ago, robin craig said:

Terry, from what I understand, these were sourced through what is called an "Urgent Operational Requirement" or some similar type name. That allows sole sourcing and a different procurement process and speed and among other parameters. The fine print of that is they cant be brought back and put into regular service as this would be foul of the UOR. This is a similar process for may Countries not just the UK.

The thought process allows rapid introduction of kit to an operational theatre but doesn't allow MOD to put them into general use as it wouldn't be seen as "fair" to the defence production industry.

In the end the taxpayer looses but the troops on the ground get a better kit to save lives etc.

That is how it was explained to me a few years ago when I asked someone in the know who declined to be attributed  to that statement but was high up enough to be credible. I suspect MOD would not enjoy the spotlight of enquiry on the subject, there is more kit purchased like that than you would believe I am told.

The same can be said about the Husky which was turned down by the U.S. military but taken on by the British to fill an urgent requirement. The Husky is going out of service later this year. Back to the Warthog, they were built by Singapore Kinetics, so any spares other than engine and gearbox are going to be hard to find.

3 hours ago, robin craig said:

That is how it was explained to me a few years ago when I asked someone in the know who declined to be attributed  to that statement but was high up enough to be credible. I suspect MOD would not enjoy the spotlight of enquiry on the subject, there is more kit purchased like that than you would believe I am told

• 3 weeks later...