RAF land rover Breakdown/tow truck 1960's

anics2002

good afternoon everyone. I have a 1962 land rover series 2a 109 that research suggests was a tow truck fitted with a harvey frost crane inservice with the RAF. I have tried to find any photos of such a vehicle in RAF service. I would like to get it restored to show condition but need something to work with. 
As an aside can anyone advise what uniform you might expect the operator to have been wearing in the 60's. Blue coveralls perhaps?

any help greatly appreciated. 

cheers

Paul 

I have never seen or  heard of a  Military or RAF Landrover fitted with a Harvey Frost crane in service use, there is always the possibility of an RAF main workshop equiping one, it would be interesting to hear what history do you know about your 109 that leads you to think it may have had a crane ,  very  likely it had a crane fitted in later civilian life, ..

Edited by Nick Johns

10 hours ago, anics2002 said:

good afternoon everyone. I have a 1962 land rover series 2a 109 that research suggests was a tow truck fitted with a harvey frost crane inservice with the RAF. I have tried to find any photos of such a vehicle in RAF service. I would like to get it restored to show condition but need something to work with. 
As an aside can anyone advise what uniform you might expect the operator to have been wearing in the 60's. Blue coveralls perhaps?

any help greatly appreciated. 

cheers

Paul 

I have a 1961  (very early , it is No. 66) ,   civilian  109"  S2A  - that had a Harvey Frost recovery crane fitted.  You will know - look for the holes abt. 1" dia. in the floor of the tub where the anchorage "U" bolts were.  Between the underside of floor and and top of chassis , there were oak packers.

HF recovery on a 88" , not so good as they soon lost forward stability marjin / steering (you need full normal weight on front springs).   109" better but ISTR it was abt. 1980 all county police forces removed them off 'RTA call-out' for same reason.  Some did have a counterwighted front bumper and IIRC the galve tank "water-weight" was a official H-F  optional accessory.

I cant remember any MOD outfit using them on Land Rovers.

However - look at the book (Page 81)  of  The Half-Ton Military Land Rover  by Mark J. Cook.

There you will see a in service 88"  in fact a Rover 8 or 10 I suppose.  It is towing a Rover 1 Lightweight on a Harvey-Frost  "Tow-Boy"  LoL  -  I have actually done this same op.  1982.   However this equiped Rover has something I never had and I assume it is genuine H-F Optional , it is a hinged "A" frame mounted to the rear cross-member, probably derrickable & with hoist winch , or possibly just winched derrick. This seems for single-man operation getting the disabled on to the tow boy. 

===========================================

This trick should get you Page 81  (Thanks Mark)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=DyYrDAAAQBAJ&pg=PT96&lpg=PT96&dq=automatic+centrifugal+advance+mechanism,+with+an+operating+range+of+0+to+22+degrees+over+a&source=bl&ots=I76FrLpAgQ&sig=ACfU3U3Knimbve_6qhr0wu94ge5HFY3ksg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwidyfXg4fXfAhVx1-AKHbLuAZgQ6AEwAHoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=automatic centrifugal advance mechanism%2C with an operating range of 0 to 22 degrees over a&f=false

Edited by ruxy
spelin