Saracen Alturnator?

Hey all,

Does the Saracen have an alturnator that functions in the same way as civilian vehicles? If so, anyone know what the ampage is?

If I'm not mistaken, the Saracen is 24v negative earth. Is this 1 24v battery or two 12v batteries?

Hi Val.

I changed a Saracen alternator a while ago.

Ruddy great thing it is. Pain in the butt to fit.

Batteries are 2 x 12 volts = 24 volts.

If you have to change one - best get hold of someone with lifting gear as the armoured front end has to come off.

PS. Watch ya feet when you undo the front bolts. :oops2:

MArkheliops

Hey all,

Does the Saracen have an alturnator that functions in the same way as civilian vehicles? If so, anyone know what the ampage is?

If I'm not mistaken, the Saracen is 24v negative earth. Is this 1 24v battery or two 12v batteries?

Hi Val,

sorry but am I missing something here, you said...

Is restored and the engine rebuilt

well if it is restored & considering the asking price all these item should be A1 :dunno:

No no it's working perfectly. Basically got a publicity event which warrrants strapping a sound system off it. I'm gonna hook up an invertor to it to power sound system. I'm just wondering how far I can push the boat.

Lee,

is that a public liability thing? Does normal MV insurance cover military shows?

Mick

Mick,

you are covered at shows while you ae moving but not while parked up static... if someone fell of your mv while you were showing them you wouldn't be covered.. you need separate PLI for this, this was confirmed by RS a couple of years ago, if in doubt ask your Insurance co. to clarify in writing...

Hey all,

But is it actually an alternator? The original was a 2-speed dynamo at 25 amps (Generator No.2) but some were converted to 90 amp alternators with Generator No.10 (as fitted to Rovers). But the conversion programme was suspended due to a shortage of components.

• 2 weeks later...

The one in ours is a Mk2 generator.

If its a No. 2 then its a 25 amp dynamo. It has gearing that comes into play so when the revs drop below 1200 rpm ish that the speed of rotation of the dynamo does not drop significantly. This means that it can still deliver its full output down to a few hundred rpm unlike a normal dynamo that is useless below 1000 rpm.

(I am assuming when you said Mk 2 it was a typo for No. 2. The Mk is just the variation within the model, the No. is the crucial thing in defining what you have got)