Searching IWM Photograghs online

LarryH57

Dear All,

The IWM has recently put a lot of its photos online but IMHO in a rather random way!

It could be me but if for example I'm looking at photos in the CH range, is there a way to search for example CH 100 to CH 13999 one after the other rather than putting a random number in to google and hoping for the best?

Even the web address http: etc gives no clues like some sites 

Help greatly appreciated

If you went there and did it on site then i dare say you could (you can with our system).

But from the point of view of the general public, most will be looking for a specific subject and will look that up, few will want to just browse all the images. And if a person already knows the number of the picture they want then they will ask for that and won't need to use the search engine.

Dear Bryan,

Many thanks

It seems I'll have to visit. I'm looking for a particular photo in the CH13001 to 13999 that I saw years ago showing an RAF convoy on its way to Kent in response to the VI threat in June 1944 and I'm unable to find it with a google search, no doubt as the caption is the key to my search.

Larry

I think this is the picture you are after. It was published many years ago from which I took this scan, I cut out the page to scan it so it might still be amongst thousands of such items in dozens of boxes. I think it was a RAFA magazine   I will look in the most likely boxes if I get lucky it may reveal the IWM number Ted,

1944 july moving south.jpg

Since the latest update, IWM has been next to impossible to search and seems completely random. It used to be possible to search by 'collection' code and go all the way through. It even seems to give zero results using search terms for photos that I know are there. I really can't work it out.

Images are much better quality now than they were a few years ago but finding them is something else.

Dear All,

Thanks for the comments, info, links and photo.

Ted, the photo isn't the one I'm after though it is of great interest and I guess its near. The one I'm after showed a long column of RAF Ford Sussex GS trucks, carrying goodness knows what in support of the defensive action but none of the vehicles were Balloon Winches. I saw it in a box at War & Peace a few years ago for £9 for a beaten up copy and all I can remember is the ref was CH 13??? (5 numbers)

• 2 weeks later...

Incidentally I have a similar problem searching Canadian online archives. So I'm told they hold hundreds of good quality photos of the Canadian Army and RCAF on file in their equivalent of TNA but I cannot find them. Does anyone know of a link?

Edited by LarryH57