Maidstone REME TA 2008

Tony B

Next year will be the hundreth anniversary of the TA. The REME TA at Ashford is planning a July event sat their barracks. the idea is anything that REME could have worked on from 1908. They would like to get all the recovery vehicles used by REME down there. The idea has also been put up of a dispaly- parade of military ambulances for the RAMC TA. anyone intrested?

Next year will be the hundreth anniversary of the TA. The REME TA at Ashford is planning a July event sat their barracks. the idea is anything that REME could have worked on from 1908. They would like to get all the recovery vehicles used by REME down there.

Tony,

That was my old workplace for 22 years, not TA, but 44 Command Workshops. Most of it was knocked down for the high speed railway, sadly. I did take my vehicles to the opening of the TA centre there and the 50th Anniversary of REME, so will endeavour to get there with my REME marked truck and a 1944 Fordson mobile workshop that would have served in REME. The latter is under restoration at this present time so should be ready for next years season....and we are within 10 miles of the barracks.

Whats the score Tony.

Markheliops

Well if he was Kewelde's apprentice. Does NATO have stock number for Zimmer Frames? :-D Growing old ain't an option, growing up is. But it is a bit of a bugger when you wake up one morning and its 'Good bye 18/30, hello Saga.

Well if he was Kewelde's apprentice. Does NATO have stock number for Zimmer Frames? :-D Growing old ain't an option, growing up is. But it is a bit of a bugger when you wake up one morning and its 'Good bye 18/30, hello Saga.

Tony.

Am I missing the point. :dunno:

Markheliops

• 4 years later...
Tony,

That was my old workplace for 22 years, not TA, but 44 Command Workshops. Most of it was knocked down for the high speed railway, sadly. I did take my vehicles to the opening of the TA centre there and the 50th Anniversary of REME, so will endeavour to get there with my REME marked truck and a 1944 Fordson mobile workshop that would have served in REME. The latter is under restoration at this present time so should be ready for next years season....and we are within 10 miles of the barracks.

How interesting! The old man was Adjutant there when it changed to 14 Command Wksp in the 50's (1952 I think -- but could be wrong -- only a baby boy at the time!). Is there any history available, because I have a picture of him taken in 1949 which is inscribed 2 Command Wksp Ashford, but according to the REME museum, 2 Command was in Gainsborough???

How interesting! The old man was Adjutant there when it changed to 14 Command Wksp in the 50's (1952 I think -- but could be wrong -- only a baby boy at the time!). Is there any history available, because I have a picture of him taken in 1949 which is inscribed 2 Command Wksp Ashford, but according to the REME museum, 2 Command was in Gainsborough???

Hi Scott,

As far as I am aware, Ashford was 14 Command Workshop from wartime onward, cannot recollect when it changed to 44 Comd Wksp, but think it was in 60's. Then around 1980 (could be before), the name was changed to District instead of Command, along with all the other Comd Wksps. Had some good times there with a wealth of experience gained over the years.

One of the guys I worked with was working on a history and gathering photos, sadly he died in an accident, then on the workshops closure, I think all the material went to the REME Museum, so I cannot help too much.

regards, Richard