From CVRT scorpion Wreck to running Sabre

Obitwo

A couple questions about the work you have done and the vehicle you started with:  Did the engine hatches have heavy welded wire fitted over the louvers when you got it?  Did you you use high-heat or intumescent paint on the interior and if so, who made it? when you replaced the torsion bar, how worn was the axle support bracket?  I ask the last because my vehicle was another of the Belgian set from Terry and several of the brackets are badly worn.  Also, just to confirm, were you able to get all the turret-basket parts out and back in with the turret fitted?  It looks as though you could put the parts in through the rear loading/access hatch and top hatches, but I just wanted to confirm this was the case before doing anything rash like reinstalling my turret!

Edited by teletech

Hi, I think I know what you mean, I have a wire net over the louvers on my other, pure UK Sabre's hatches but,  No - not on this one. I used normal white mineral/oil based paint. Axle support bracket were ok. Yes all parts get in and out without removing the turret. It's just about  dismantling everything I pieces- work needs anyway since the needed brushing & repaint and new bolts/screws. 

Skärmavbild 2023-02-22 kl. 19.30.46.png

Edited by Obitwo

2 hours ago, Obitwo said:

Hi, I think I know what you mean, I have a wire net over the louvers on my other, pure UK Sabre's hatches but,  No - not on this one. I used normal white mineral/oil based paint. Axle support bracket were ok. Yes all parts get in and out without removing the turret. It's just about  dismantling everything I pieces- work needs anyway since the needed brushing & repaint and new bolts/screws. 

Skärmavbild 2023-02-22 kl. 19.30.46.png

It's odd, I've seen the wire over just the intake, just the exhaust, both the intake and exhaust, and neither.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.  It could be particular to the theatre of operations or unit and then over time parts get shuffled... I guess I won't worry too much about "correct" on this one.  Mine has the wire over both intake and exhaust, but it's so rusted and bent I'm planning to cut it off, knowing I'm trading better cooling and ease of restoration for risking more leaves, twigs, and whatnot getting in.

Good to have the reassurance on the turret bits.  Mine has been hanging suspended for far too long, so I'll get the fighting compartment paint finished up (enough) to reinstall the ring and then I can set it back on.  It won't be as convenient to work, but I'll rest more easily at night!

I do wish mine were a Sabre for the reduced weight and better driver visibility.  There weren't that many FOX made and I always wonder where people keep coming up with the turrets!  I guess at this point even if I found one, shipping just a turret to the states would cost a packet.

Speaking of turrets, in the picture of when yours and mine were parked adjacent in Terry's pile, I notice yours had a gun and mine didn't.  Interesting that, since I wound up with a gun in my turret (now sadly deact.).

Yeah, I guess those wire nets were local workshop initiatives so no need to do to get "originality" in your resto. Cool you got hold of a gun -Mine is actually only a pipe - easy to get hold of and without any legal implications -I would have needed to get a license for it otherwise.

27 minutes ago, Obitwo said:

Yeah, I guess those wire nets were local workshop initiatives so no need to do to get "originality" in your resto. Cool you got hold of a gun -Mine is actually only a pipe - easy to get hold of and without any legal implications -I would have needed to get a license for it otherwise.

I would have been happy to pass on the receiver at least since there wasn't much left after it got torch-cut so it could be imported.  The barrel is pretty cool, but that I actually had to pay to demill... twice!  Once to US spec and once to UK spec.  Sadly the broker didn't plan ahead or it could have been a lot less disfigured and a bit cheaper while meeting both criterion. 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
48 minutes ago, Obitwo said:

A small film with the cvrts: 

I notice the CVR(T) are so naturally stealthy that one has started to camouflage itself with small bits of tree even with such a short jaunt. 🙂

I also notice somebody has their engine decks partly off.  Improves cooling and access for maintenance I'm sure.

• Haha 1