Miltary odyssey, Detling, Kent

Stone Age Tool makers, Romans, Vikings, American Civil War, Napoleonic - all the way through to Gulf War re-enactors. To be fair, I always feel a bit side-lined as a MV owner at this one (no arena events for us for a start).

It's more to do with the Ancient History boys, but it's a good place to lighten the wallet a bit Militaria fans!

I will be there from Friday night in my new HMVF shirt (thanks Jack).

BUT they do not really like MV's as they are chucked down the worst end of the site, is thsi correct :dunno:

:-D

Yep &...

From MO website...

It is also to be noted that due to space limitations, popular vehicles ( Jeeps and Landrovers etc ) will be restricted to certain numbers

They didn't want my Landy this year...

& if you don't turn up when booked in they ban you... just another excuse to get rid of MV's..

Over the years every available Vehicle space has been allocated to applicants, unfortunately some M.V. owners failed to attend the event, forcing us to contact some owners who were waiting on a stand-by list, this proved to be unsatisfactory and no notice or reason was given by the non attendees. These owners are now black listed, so when making an application to attend Military Odyssey please bear this in mind; this will be strictly enforced in 2007.

with Arena Events commencing at 10.00am

Not for MV owners...

Look at their posters.. hard to find anything PW on there.... seems for Gary Howard that History finished th same time as WW2 did >:(

Less & less MV's each year.. Re-enactors OK... MV owners P%^@ Off.. think thats the official line...

Not forgetting the stupid Wait for a Mate area where if you wanted to camp together you had to all turn up at the same time or wait for the rest of your gang in the sheep pen.. one guy waited 8hours forhis mates to turn up so they could camp together...

Be fair, it's never meant to be a military vehicle show. The emphasis is living history, vehicles are props. I enjoy the show.

Hmmm... why do they state his on their website then :dunno:

There will be in attendance hundreds of privately owned preserved restored quality military vehicles

Doubt there will be hundreds though :whistle:

The vehicles are there as props for the rest of the display. It is not a line up of green machines. Call it re enactment, living history interpretation orwhatever, I show tmy vehicles in the context they would have been used. My vehicles are tools, the ambulance is an ambulance and stand as such as events the Dodge is a workhorse, delivering washing machines and carting stuff about. Yes they are things which I love in thier own right, but I want to acheive more than just a line . Hence I don't go to Beltring.

I have to say that I agree with all the above in varying degrees. I think that in a few years there will be no vehicles there outside of the re-enactors. Most of the people that I know and who don't re-enact are boycotting it this year. For that matter, I couldn't get my Lightweight in so I am driving someone elses vehicle up there.

I go for the stalls and to see what the re-enactors are doing - I'm not tempted to take it up myself but I think that they all do fantastic displays. If I didn't have a vehicle to take, I would probably go for a day out anyway.

I was tempted to not go because of the way MV owners are treated but it feels a bit like cutting your nose off to spite your face. I guess you have to decide where your interest lies - personally I like to roll up and let the vehicle be the display, I don't mind dressing in appropriate uniform but that's as far as it goes - I'm not the kind of guy who wants to spend the weekend living in a foxhole and eating corned beef from the tin when I have a perfectly good tent, fridge and BBQ standing by!

Having said all that I have never met the organisers personally so don't really have an axe to grind

Live in a Foxhole :? No way, if I'm re-enacting while the public are there, fine, I'm acting. But once they have gone, to follow the old Army rule, let the other man be uncomfortable. I have the perfect camouflage for plastic camping, put the tent in a tent :-D

I didn't receive an entry form this year despite attending every MO apart from the first with my vehicles. Only once did one of my two entries fail to attend as I had a breakdown and I let the organisers know as soon as I knew, which is only polite.

I wasn't going to attend this year anyway because I don't see why I should drive all that way to be tucked away in a back field. It's not an MV show so I was going to do something else instead. Now I'm going anyway to take a re-enactors' truck but I won't be staying the whole time as it's dull without having my vehicles to fiddle with :-D

I tend to think this is becoming a trend with a small minority of shows.

I honestly believe some shows and their organisers are beginning to think the shows are bigger than the people and MV's who attend. This way of thinking will eventually bite those who harbour these thoughts in the butt.

I have never been to Military Odyssey and to be honest I have no real desire to attend.

I know the show is a re-enactors thing etc but no reenactment will be complete without the vehicles and machines with which the re-enactors work.

If certain shows want to stick their noses in the air at MV's - then so be it. It does not take long for word to spread amongst our hobby and the end result will be NO vehicles attending what so ever.

No vehicles equals a very poor and inaccurate portrail of those past times.

I'm not bothered as I'm not Jo public paying at the gate with the promise of seeing hundreds of privately owned military vehicles.

I'm not bitter but don't appreciate the way MO treats MV owners.

SO MO - You know what you can do................................... :mail4you:

Markheliops :whistle:

Must admit to never having been,.....................Beltring, neither, :whistle:

TBH, they don't appeal,................much prefer the smaller rallys, steam or otherwise, where the organisers ARE PLEASED to see you.

The idea of taking an appropriate vehicle to ANY show, and then, either being treated as second class, or having to pay to exibit, :whistle:...........well, not for me, I'm afraid.

I do believe and this is hearsay that the MO show this year will/maybe the last one, the way that G Howard acts and treats the people that attend the show may have been his downfall or monetary problems, either way the rumours are strong.

I myself think that to advertise "Hundreds of MV's" is totally wrong and just goes to show that duping the public is OK by the organisers just to make money.

On the way to Cambridge earlier tonight I saw 4 vehicles which must have been going there. There was a low loader with 2 Bren Gun carriers and what looked an Austin staff car which I'm guessing might have been from the East of England Tank Museum and a then there was a rather nice Jeep being driven by some suitably dressed occupants.

Richard

On the way to Cambridge earlier tonight I saw 4 vehicles which must have been going there. There was a low loader with 2 Bren Gun carriers and what looked an Austin staff car which I'm guessing might have been from the East of England Tank Museum and a then there was a rather nice Jeep being driven by some suitably dressed occupants.

Richard

Don't think they would be going there... too early for G.H. to let MV's in...