Hi All,

Having been to the Scarbrough castle WW2 event and the festival of history.

I would like to get into the enactment a little and as I'm a biker i would appreciate any advice on the future purchase of a WW1 but preferably a WW2 dispatch bike what are the options for allied and axis.

Thank you all for your time and all the best,

James

Hi James,

Welcome.

I'll second safariswings comment, re wwiireenacting forum;.........there are a few of us on both of these. :-)

options, certainly wwii bikes wise, are .

British,

Norton 16H 500cc, BSA B30 350cc and M20 500cc, Ariel W/NG 350cc

Royal Enfield WD/RE 125cc and WD/C 350cc, not forgetting Matchless G3 350cc, and Triumph 3SW 350cc.................Quite possibly others as well. ;-)

American.

Harley WLA and Indian.

German,

BMW R12 and Zundapp KS750, both 750cc, DKW NZ350 350cc and NSU 251 250cc.

there are quite a few 'BMW combo's', on the show scene,..........some genuine and some based on the latter Russian Ural/Denipr models,......themselves copied from captured BMW/Zundapp machines.

Cor,.........................my brain hurts, now....................... :-D

All the best,

Andy

Hi.

I would diasagree that WW1 bikes are much cheaper than WW2 (unless you are buying a Ural). Not many people are interested in the WW1 stuff, but i would think that you could find something restored for about £5K to £6K which is less than a WW2 Harley Davidson it would seem.

Tim (too)

Hi James,

welcome to the mad house!

Im a Triumph man through and through, so Im probably biased, but my two recommendations on the WW2 range would be a Triumph 3HW (350cc single overhead valve), or BSA M20 (500cc single sidevalve), the Triumph is lighter and faster, the BSA is reliable and solid, and parts arent too bad to source. The Norton 16H is along similar lines to the BSA, but not too many examples around. Ariel WN/Gs are lovely, but again fairly scarce.

A lot of people like the Matchless G3L 350, generally regarded as the best handling Brit army bike of ww2, personally I really dont like them, but thats just my opinion!

If you are seriously considering buying WW2 Brit iron, shop around, get lots of opinions from different people, do your research, blah blah blah, but, dont leave it too long............. for years values were really low, the last couple of years they have been increasing in price.

Hope this helps, and good luck with it!

G506

Hi Tim,

I was referring to to reenacting side rather than the purchase of a bike... :-D

Oh yes, i see that now. Whoops. Anyway, i got my comment twisted. I would think that a WW1 Triumph would be cheaper than a WW2 Harley. But a WW2 BSA would be cheaper than a Harley and a WW1 Triumph.

Confused! I am. :?

Tim (two)

Thanks again for the pointers,

It will be brit iron im sure.

Ural is tempting though.

All the ebst,

james

Ural/denipr's ARE great fun. :-D :-D esp the sidecar version with the driven s/car wheel......................Oh, and don't forget REVERSE GEAR,............ :whistle:

Pretty dam good, off road, as well,...........well all the time they can find traction and keeping out of deepish ruts.............