What spark plug gap?

Richard Grosvenor

If you can get a decent Zenith, stick with that, they can be got new for near enough the same as a Weber. The Weber runs lean and strangles what little top end there is, it has a smaller dia venturi. I also has problems with fuel vaporisation in hot weather and going offroad when I had one on a lightweight (was somewhat modded though in my off road days, have now repented and am strictly original military!). The main reason Webers can be described as an economy carb is that anything is better than a knackered Zenith.

Zenith does tend to have one major failing in that the top cover can warp causing airleaks. For opinions on either do a search on any of the main Land Rover forums

Hello Sean,

I don't know if my Zenith is good or not yet.

I had a problem today with it running like a pig ( no, not a 4.2ltr RR straight 6!) :wink: It was only (just) running on three cylinders, which turned out to be a dead spark plug, replaced them all and now it runs lovely.

I've not had it long enough to know how many MPG it's doing, I do run a ZIL 131 which does 6 mpg so I think anything in double figures is good! :?

Funny you say about warping, I noticed a very slight petrol seep from one of the carb joints. One bolt was able to be tightened about one flat and it now seems to have stopped.

I will have to see how it goes and weigh up the pro's and con's

Many Thanks

Richard

Ah so you've got the insurance though then, have you tried pulling away in 2nd yet? I'll tell you what, if your ever over my way your welcome to give my SWB S2A a run to get a comparason, save you buying a Weber and not liking it.

Hi Tyler,

yes, took it for a little run today. And yes I used 2nd gear for pulling away, it does seem smoother and first is very short.

I have to say, I'm very impressed with the Land Rover. It's nothing like my old S2A diesel.

I think having a canvas top makes it quieter aswell.

If I'm over your way I'll pop in, many thanks

Richard

Hi Richard, I have found that the canvas tops are just as warm as the hardtops, and you dont get as much noise as there is less echoing as its a softer material, and you can't beat open top driving. Is it a 12v or a 24v by the way.

Tyler.

Richard,

I recently bought a new Zenith from Craddocks. It was expensive, but I rebuilt the old one twice and that had no effect. My Lightweight will do 70, and will cruise all day at 60 with a full trailer - and that was with a knackered piston!

Still running the engine in again after a rebuilt, so we're keeping at about 50 for the time being. The only non original part on there is a K&N filter, which seems to work better than the air bath.

Chris

There are a definitely a couple of foibles about the Zenith including a spare drilling that should bo sealed, can't remember which one though. Nothing wrong with Weber carbs in general, just not the best in this application. Alright if it gets you out of trouble and you only pootle round the shows.

Richard - sounds like you have no problems at all.

Topless motoring is brill, only tried screen down once though. Big mistake without goggles, had glasses on but they vibrated badly over 40!

Soft top is also way to go, had no security worries so far and is so much quieter and no condensation. Engine noise used to be really bad with truck cab. Wind noise can get a bit tiresome with canvas slapping over 50mph on a long run though.

Who would have thought that a topic about spark plug gaps could be so intresting, as long as its not hamering down with rain I drive everywhere with the top rolled up, as the airflow seems to stop the rain from entering the rear load area and also means the canvas doesnt flap around, mine will sit at 70 quite happily.

Tyler.

Who would have thought that a topic about spark plug gaps could be so intresting

Yes, it's funny how a topic unfolds. You can imagine someone just looking at the index and thinking "how on earth can they talk about spark plug gaps for 3 pages!"

Just shows you have to read all posts, even if they don't look that interesting.

Regards

Richard

Hi Tyler,

I don't know what to call the Land Rover.

It was the Ferret that started the naming as it was called Eric when we got it and it just suits it. And the ZIL's called The Bitch because when we first got it it seemed that every time I used it something else broke! Now it's settled down and behaving it's self we should really change it's name. A nice Russian girl's name would be ideal!

Cheers

Richard