Ward La France - part II.

Do not fret N.O.S

If you decide to attend the greatest gathering of HMVF members and vehicles this decade -

and by sheer chance you do get bogged down in the terrible muddy conditions -

I am sure a friendly wrecker owner will assist you - at some point. :pfrt:

Markheliops :-D

:what: I've just looked at this Mark and am absolutely horrified - it looks like someone has been posting things on the forum using my identity :schocked: I did not know it was possible, and rest assured I will of course report this to the mods rightaway :whistle: :whistle: :wave:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(and NO, won't be on the plain myself, either. ;-))

N.O.S

I do feel such a statement is not only aimed at me but ALL wrecker owners. :box:

It is of course a dangerous path to tread -

To take thy p--s out of a wrecker owner is a bad move as you never know when YOU will need one.

The plains is a very muddy area where vehicles tend to get stuck. :whistle:

Markheliops

PS. There will be no need for members to be making reference to the fact I got stuck at W+P. Thankie.

Ah RATS - he beat me to it!!! :whistle: :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Been at it again - for the last three days actually.

Started off by working out how to remove my WLF bogie assembly without the use of a crane. Previous entries will show how I removed the other bogie assembly by using my WLF as the lifting device.

Had to resort to chocking and blocking by using lots of blocks and 2 x 30 tonne bottle jacks.

blocks.jpg

I blocked the chassis in front of the crane mounts on the chassis and jacked the body up until I had enough clearance to roll the bogie assembly clear of the bogie assembly mounting bracket. Once I had enough clearance I was able to chock the body at the bogie mounting bracket to give me a more stable platform.

Before rolling the bogie assembly out, I had the fore thought to mark the floor with paint to assist me when I come to reinstall the bogie assembly. :-D

width=640 height=480http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/Markheliops/lines.jpg[/img]

It was then a - simple - task of rolling the complete assembly from under the truck. Actually, to my surprise the whole assembly just wheeled it's way out - just as the manual said. :dunno: No figure. I had to tow the other bogie assembly out with the Landy.

I apologise for the video as I haven't quite got to grips with unloading vids.

Update - video link - :computerterror:

Once the bogie assembly was out, I used the crane of my Ward - clever eh - to remove the axle diff carriers. Centre one first.

width=640 height=853http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/Markheliops/centreaxlediffcarrier.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=853http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/Markheliops/centreaxlediff.jpg[/img]

This was the offending axle which I believe caused me all the problems on route to Bolero.

width=640 height=480http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/Markheliops/outputshaftdamage.jpg[/img]

Next came the rear axle diff carrier.

width=640 height=480http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/Markheliops/rearaxlediffcarrier.jpg[/img]

I have found a number of issues with both diffs. Both contaminated with water in the oil. The rear axle drain plug had been welded into place which is a bit of a pain. Apparently, this is a common finding with WLF. They must have a habit of dropping out.

I still haven't come across any real issues which would have caused the failure of my propshaft as yet.

The idea is to swap the diff carriers from the spare WLF on to my bogie assembly. Whilst it is out from the truck, I shall be renewing other parts such as seals, bearings, etc.

Updates as and when.

Markheliops

Did they simply tack weld the drain plugs or did they do an entire ring ? odd that they would have them loosen most drain plugs tend to be found over tightened or stuck from lack of use.

Unfortunately it was fully welded. Drilled a hole through the drain plug - made it bigger and still it won't shift. :dunno:

Done some more on the Ward today.

Bogie assembly is on axle stands, minus the wheels and tyres.

Can't do a lot more until spares are ordered.

Oh the joy - can't wait to get the prices.

8 x bogie bolts are £8 each.

I need amongst others things -

2 x upper torque rods

2 x diff carrier gaskets

6 x wheel station gaskets - probably make these at a push.

6 x wheel hub oil seals

Maybe opt for some new cap needle bearings for the propshafts.

Doesn't look so bad but the more I dismantle - the more I find.

Updates as and when but don't think I'll get much more done before Xmas.

Anyone know of where I can source these - info appreciated.

Markheliops

All available from Army Cars Holland.

2 x upper torque rods - €100 ea.

2 x diff carrier gaskets - €20 ea.

6 x wheel station gaskets - probably make these at a push - €20 ea.

6 x wheel hub oil seals - €20? ea.

ask NOS how I know :whistle:

Bolts are under way.

ask NOS how I know :whistle:

While you were posting this I was PMing the Rugged Boy the sorry saga, so now he knows ;-)

And I may yet be on a ferry :angry:

Anyway, the spares supply situation was reviewed in last month's UKWLFOC magazine so all he had to do was look on page 8 :whistle:

If it comes to it, I can go in 2 weeks time when I'm back. Looks like they may have to dig out yet ANOTHER set of everything for Mark!

If you are serious about that, I've got to phone tomorrow to see if they have crated our bits up. Doubtful, in which case I could tempt fate :shake: and get them to hold off for a day or two. A ferry trip split 3 ways or in proportion to weight of each set of bits might be cheaper than freight if my haulier cannot get a load that way. Would be certainly be easy way for Mark to get payment to them :dunno: Keep in touch.

If you are serious about that, I've got to phone tomorrow to see if they have crated our bits up. Doubtful, in which case I could tempt fate :shake: and get them to hold off for a day or two. A ferry trip split 3 ways or in proportion to weight of each set of bits might be cheaper than freight if my haulier cannot get a load that way. Would be certainly be easy way for Mark to get payment to them :dunno: Keep in touch.

Have you got a glove box in case Grasshopper can be persuaded to leave his Mrs for 5 mins to accompany us? He's only small and won't use much oxygen.

Have you got a glove box in case Grasshopper can be persuaded to leave his Mrs for 5 mins to accompany us? He's only small and won't use much oxygen.

According to my computerised loading schedule, that space is already allocated to the hub seals - we could leave the underslung spare at home if he doesn't mind pretendig to be a Toyota Ball Turret gunner :whistle:

• 3 weeks later...

Mark me old mate. you keep the WLF near the Hop farm dont you????? If you need a spare pair of willing hands for any jobs then give me a bell. I'm not back to work until 3rd Jan (using leave) or any time really. I have a reasonable mechanical knowledge and we can always drink tea :-D

Just a thought as most jobs are easier with 2. Pm me

Dave