Ward La France - part II.

Hi all.

I have been getting more depressed as shows come and go and my Ward la France M1A1 sits in the shed, not being able to attend. :-(

As most of you will be aware I had a disaster whilst trying to attend Bolero and it was a struggle even to attend War and Peace. Luckily my WLF is stored 2 minutes from the Hop Farm so I made temp repairs to attend the 25th anniversary show.

I have decided to crack on now and sort the problem out. I have been trying to source parts for repairs but found I can't get the bits I need.

SO

Today I have agreed to purchase the Ward that Nick Hobbs purchased as a restoration vehicle. :-D

In all honesty, the WLF is a bit beyond restoring without spending silly money on it.

I will now have another WLF for a donor vehicle with enough spares to hopefully keep me on the road for a fair old time.

I intend to do a proper job over the winter and roll out the Ward next season.

I have started a new blog and will keep this updated as things progress.

I haven't decided what to do with the skeleton donor vehicle but I may decide to do something a bit wacky with it, once my Ward la France is repaired.

Here's hoping - nothing else goes wrong. :angel:

Markheliops

Well that is great news Mark!

Have to say with some of these old timers it pays to have one for spares. I have always had to do this with the older vehicles and plant used commercially, so it has become a useful habit with oddball vintage m.v.s too, and a wise long-term investment.

Some might claim that this removes potential vehicles from the restoration pool, but for example my WLF donor truck would have ended up in a Chinese furnace, so I carry no guilt! :angel:

Keep posting the pics of mechanical gore though :evil:

p.s. have got price enquiry with a supplier for Torque rods - still waiting for reply, but can I take it you are now o.k. in this department?

Thanks Neil -

The Ward should look the same but hopefully will drive a lot better and not have the grinding noise I have become accustomed to.

The surprise I may have at W+P will be what I am going to do with the donor Ward - lots of ideas but will see what I am left with after repairing mine.

A few ideas are:

Throw a box body on the back - cosy sleeping quarters - and tow it about as a casualty vehicle.

Make a Ward La France trailer - out of the rolling chassis.

Make a ridiculous, outrageous off-roading machine - kind of scrapheap challenge.

If I do one of the above, I can keep all the spare parts, gear box, transfer box, etc in situ, available if I need them. Kind of like towing my own stores about.

OR

Sell whats left for scrap.

Will see what happens.

Anyone have any bright ideas and I'd like to hear them.

Markheliops

p.s. have got price enquiry with a supplier for Torque rods - still waiting for reply, but can I take it you are now o.k. in this department?

I am still interested in details of the above. Tootallmike may need details as well.

Many thanks N.O.S

I am still interested in details of the above. Tootallmike may need details as well.

Many thanks N.O.S

Yes, I may interested if you do have any joy with this.

• 3 weeks later...

Any chance of a progress report, Mark? :dunno:

There's been a real shortage of pics of mechanical gore just recently on the forum........ :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Have a look at this thread Tony: http://www.hmvf.co.uk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=38&topic=5338.0

That's the donor vehicle arriving. Normal service of mechanical gore should recommence shortly :-D :-D :-D

• 2 months later...

Hi all.

It's colder, the daylight seems to disappear a bit too quickly - and I can be heard swearing under the WLF. Yes - it's that time of year where I have started on the WLF repairs after my Bolero experience.

For those of you who don't keep up with things - :whistle: - I purchased the WLF from Nick Hobbs as a donor vehicle.

I started by removing the bogie assembly from the donor vehicle. Easier said than done. Manual says - undo this and release that, and then just roll the complete assembly from under the body. OH YEAH. :angry:

Three days later, cracked knuckles and having to resort to the gas spanner - I finally TOWED the spare bogie assembly from the donor vehicle.

Sorry about the pics - quality not too good.

width=640 height=480http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/Markheliops/00000009-2.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/Markheliops/00000012.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/Markheliops/00000013-1.jpg[/img]

I have the advantage over Tootallmike in that I could use my WLF to assist in the removal of the donor vehicle bogie assembly.

Must give huge thanks to Grasshopper who popped over yesterday to give me a hand. Trouble with trucks this size is everything weighs a ton and is over large. Sometimes - you just need another pair of hands and someone to convince you you're not wasting your time.

Had occurred to me to wimp out and send the WLF away for a professional repair.

Have started to remove the bogie assembly from my own WLF now. Trouble is I have no crane to assist me and can't afford to damage anything.

Still, cracked on again today and the good news Vince is I have managed to remove the remaining bogie tube bolts without resorting to the gas spanner. I did however remove all the brake assemblies to give me more room to insert tools. I would recommend doing it this way. Just that extra bit of room was enough to make life easier.

It would appear from closer inspection of the donor vehicle's bogie assembly that it is original and has not been overhauled by the French, like most of the WLF released from the military.

width=640 height=480http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/Markheliops/00000027.jpg[/img]

I now have the donor vehicle on blocks-

width=640 height=480http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/Markheliops/00000023.jpg[/img]

My Ward behind it with the bogie assembly waiting to be WHEELED out-

width=640 height=480http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/Markheliops/00000040.jpg[/img]

And the donor assembly behind that.

Must admit - Wondered how an 8 wheel Ward La France would grap people's attention. Could easily be done. No. no - what an I thinking. Tootallmike would never forgive me. :naughty:

I am back at work for four days now and then will return on Wednesday to remove my WLF bogie assembly - God willing.

Updates as and when to follow. :-D

Markheliops

Very well done!

I'll be very interested to see what condition the diffs are in when it all come apart.

Is there any clue as to its history? - I'd say it may be ex-British as I believe we didn't overhaul vehicles like the European armies did.

Please don't break Vince - I need him when I get back :-)

I'll try not too Mike.

I did however feed him - egg and chips - well the girlie's in the cafe fed him.

Vince's suggestion is to swap both diff carriers over to my bogie assembly so I will try that before turning to the gearbox and transfer box.

I'm praying that attention to the bogie assembly will get rid of the grinding noise - otherwise it's all change for the g/box and t/box.

Markheliops

So did I hang of the side of your WLF, risking my life for you to hear a noise from the transmission for NOWT. :angry:

Oh!.................................Thanks for the tea by the way. :whistle:

Wasn't for nowt Mark -

I just wanted to see you hanging off the side of my truck. :whistle:

Seriously, I do have an axle problem which I know about and I think I may also have another fault with the g/box or t/box.

Time will reveal all.

Markheliops

N.O.S

I do feel such a statement is not only aimed at me but ALL wrecker owners. :box:

It is of course a dangerous path to tread -

To take thy p--s out of a wrecker owner is a bad move as you never know when YOU will need one.

The plains is a very muddy area where vehicles tend to get stuck. :whistle:

Markheliops

PS. There will be no need for members to be making reference to the fact I got stuck at W+P. Thankie.

N.O.S

To take thy p--s out of a wrecker owner is a bad move as you never know when YOU will need one.

:what: I've just looked at this Mark and am absolutely horrified - it looks like someone has been posting things on the forum using my identity :schocked: I did not know it was possible, and rest assured I will of course report this to the mods rightaway :whistle: :whistle: :wave: