Just brought something else!

Richard Grosvenor

Hello

Just brought an ex-military Series 3 LWB Petrol Land Rover. Don't know anything about it's service life but it's got it's military reg. so we should be able to find something out about it. You can make out there used to be a circle with a cross on the doors so having looked on http://www.emlra.org it looks like it was a field ambulance.

One question, is a military Land Rover alot different to a civy one in regards service manuals? Is a Haynes manual good enough or do I need a military one?

It's not the first Land Rover I have had. My very first car was a Series 2A LWB which I learned to drive in. This was a diesel and was slower than George Bush! It was also the most unreilable vehicle I have ever owned and I strongly believe there is no such thing as a nice Land Rover. There are Land Rovers that look nice but they are all , in fact, evil things! :evil:

So why have we brought another one? Don't know really, there is something about them isn't there?! :wink:

Regards

Richard

Hi, wot condition is it in? is it a soft top? one peice of advice i fitted a

stainless exhaust/webber carb and changed the points,plugs+leads,

and adjusted the tappets and it does 27mpg which is excellent

considering the buying guides quote 17-22mpg MAX, and all that would

cost £200 or less, i can give you the suppliers details if you want.

Hello

It's actually in very good condition. It came out of service about 7 years ago and has been very well looked after. MOTed last week and only needed two new tyres and new wiper blades. The chassis is very good. just one very small patch, everywhere else is like new. I was amazed that it started from cold with the first flick of the starter. ( my old 2A was a pig for starting) It's a full soft top which is also in good condition. The paint work is as it was when it left service so as in is now quite faded I will give it a respray.(patina of use?)

27mpg! wow.., that would make one of the most economical vehicles we've got!... We could use it everyday! I will definitely be looking in to that.

I don't know if the previous owners have changed anything already.

It's being collected on Saturday so if the weather's good I'll take some photo's and post them.

Regards

Richard

Right here it is.

LandRover2.jpg

LandRover3.jpg

Where the red cross was.

LandRover4.jpg

It's military reg is 18 KB 32 and according to it's Cast form is was a field ambulance . I'm really surprised at it's condition, it needs a respray but underneath it's like new.

Can't wait to take it for a run but I'm waiting for insurance docs to come, so I'll have to just move it around the yard.

It's strange, when I had my 2A it felt massive, now after the ZIL and Militant this one feels tiny. It's a bit like a Mini Mily!

Regards

Richard

Thats a nice landy, canvas looks very good, at least it fits better than mine by a long way, and mines only two years old and the sides look like wedges, so I just leave it rolled up, anyway what collours will you paint it in? all you need is two stretchers and some dummys and it'll look the part.

Right here it is.

Richard,

Have you noticed...........its a civvy model, rear mounted fuel tank, tapered ended rear cross member and civilian rear bumperettes, etc.

Also the jaw tow hook has been replaced by a drop plate for a ball hitch. Not often you find trailers in the army with ball hitches, usually on something like a recruiting trailer or caravan.

Richard

good on you Kewelde for noticing that.

Tyler,

I spent 22 years working as a fitter in army workshops, seen so many different versions of Land Rovers. Sometimes that civvy cross member is found on a military contract vehicle, that may have happened because either the cross member has been renewed or the whole chassis has been changed. It was the rear tank that sets it apart. These civvy types were I believe a stop gap contract, with only small changes like FV lights, etc.

Richard

Hello,

Thanks Tyler, it will stay the same colour scheme just a satin finish to match the trailer and Militant.

Hello Richard, I'm guessing that the drop plate was for a caravan in it's civvy life, I found a booking form for a ferry crossing to the Isle of White under one of the seats so it has been used for holidays. If you notice the 12 pin socket is still on the vehicle with a "12v Negative Earth" sticker below, hopefully it's still connected! The Nato hitch is ready and waiting to go on.

There is also a plate in the cab with an FV number on it.

One question, if you look at the side photo, on the canvas there is a black circle, made of thick webbing. Directly below this on the body work there is 2 holes and an outline where something like a plate was mounted, what was likly to be there?

Thanks

Richard

There is also a plate in the cab with an FV number on it.

One question, if you look at the side photo, on the canvas there is a black circle, made of thick webbing. Directly below this on the body work there is 2 holes and an outline where something like a plate was mounted, what was likly to be there?

Richard,

I thought it was straight out of the army, did not realise it had already had civvy use. Yes, I noted the army reg no, that it was a civvy spec. There were some civvy spec. 110 with V8 engines, again a stop gap due to problems with the diesels in their early life.

The holes in your body sides are for an aerial mounting bracket, it was flat plate , bent at 90 degrees with two more holes in the top edge of the body. On the top face of the bracket was a pole of about 18" with like a stirrup welded to the top and a round mounting plate. The aerial base fitted on the plate and cable went through a hole in the reinforced patch in the canopy.

Richard

Hi Richard the hole is for a radio cable, the holes in the body are for an radio airial mount(as shown in first pic), then you mount the pole (2nd pic), and then an airial base(same as the wing mounted bases), hope this helps.

thing8oc.th.jpg

mm5wc.th.jpg