Sherman Bulldozer

Great War truck

I see that Mr Wheatcroft has acquired a Sherman bulldozer. Take a look at

http://www.wheatcroftcollection.com/bulldozer.html

I wonder where it came from. I can only think of one other example and that was pulled out of the sea off the Normandy coast and is a tad rusty.

He has also acquired a pile of other interesting stuff, including yet another Panther. Goodness knows how he finds it all.

Good luck to him. I would hope that if i had the money that i would do the same sort of thing (wouldnt we all?)

Tim (too)

from what I know his collection isnt open to the public. But you never know, maybe if someone approached him with a view to have a clamber round them he might be OK with that. You dont know 'til you ask. I dont know where the collection is based though.

From the photos on the website the Sherman looks too good to have been dragged out of the sea. It looks complete and in pretty good condition - it's probably come out of a desert or something like that. The collection isn't open to the public, and is based in the midlands. More info etc about it at http://www.wheatcroftcollection.com

Chris

Sorry Jack, what i meant was that i had only seen one other which is located at a museum in Normandy. It was pulled off the seabed some years ago and has been sprayed with an anti rust preservative but is otherwise as it was in 1944. This one i would think has either come from the States or from France. Several bits of armour have come over from France due to their draconian new anti armour laws. The Sherman bulldozer is incredibly rare and must have cost two arms and two legs.

Tim

Is it an original dozer blade thats fitted though... looks different to the wartime one :dunno: I'da thought IDF or something judging by the colour & condition

Yes, it could be IDF, i had not thought of that. The dozer blade and mechanism does look very much like the WW2 US one though. I will have to look for my pics of the Normandy one now to compare.

Tim (too)

kool, although i dont know why he doesnt open his collection to the public or open it by appointment for small groups

If that happened he would be subject to a pile of H&S cr*p bigger than a King Tiger.

Ive just had a look at the website to see if there is any contact details. Reason being that I thought it wouldnt hurt to ask if maybe a few of us could get to have a nose round. Theres no contact details on there though. If anyone does have any way of contacting him let me know and I will see what I can sort out.