MY GOD!!!! I'VE DONE IT

Mark

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahahaha Welcome to the club Mark ,I've got 3 GMC's and they all change gear slightly differently, It's a great feeling when you master the art of

Douldle declutching though ,Take your time and relax it'll come.

1. Clutch in (press the clutch pedal to the floor)

2. Move the gear stick to NEUTRAL

3. Clutch out (release the clutch pedal to its normal position)

4. Blip the accelerator (push on the accelerator pedal so the revs rise and fall)

5. Clutch in again

6. Move the gear stick to the new gear

7. Clutch out again

The problems you find with most of these vehicles is that it's got a lot to do with how it's been driven prior to your ownership and the degree of wear done to the gearbox gears.

New gears are tapered/ rounded on the ends a bit like your fingers if you push both hands together they'll interlock nicely, but imagine trying to do it with square ended fingers you would be lucky to get it them interlock easily,this is why some gearbox's are more difficult than others.

I'm in the stage of rebuilding a spare GMC gear box if all goes well then I'll do the other 3 .

Good luck with your new vehicle and welcome to the GMC Club. http://www.cckw.org for your GMC problems

Regards

Steve

Thats a Fine Looking HMV !! and a very practial body just what you said you needed . The shifting thing will come with practice just dont try to over speed the gears . They built the CCKW for low speed just as the tm 9-801 technical manual shows on page 37 . Its easier to make good shifts when your not trying to run each gear to its max speed ,and down shifting before the engine starts to bog or labor on the upgrades.